Saturday, December 15, 2007

Menu-planning Dec. 17-22, 2007




This week's menu planning is brought to you by the freezer, the fridge and the cupboard.  I am trying to eat down the house before we travel this weekend.  Have you ever tried to eat as much as you can from what is already in the house?  It's a great exercise in logistical planning for me.  I have to go down and figure out what's in the deep freeze and think creatively from there.  

Monday: grilled cheese sandwiches on homemade bread and tomato soup
Tuesday: turkey and gravy (frozen ahead), mashed potatoes (fresh) and homemade stuffing
Wednesday: chicken divan 
Thursday: Black beans and rice
Friday: Moose in red sauce with polenta (I know, that moose again!)
Sat/Sun: leave on trip.  
I think the only thing I need for the week is a carton of eggs and some fruit for snacks.  My dear Mom has already started stocking up for our big visit.  
Do you ever make polenta?  It's so cheap and easy to make.  I grew up on polenta, since we have some Northern Italian blood in our veins.  I have no idea how Martha does it, but we do it like this.
:
1. Grind  dried corn or use store-bought  yellow corn meal ( 1 1/2 cups).
2.  Place  2 cups of water in a pot with 2 t. salt, boil
3. Mix corn meal with 2 1/2 cups of cold water.  
4. Add the cornmeal mixture to the boiling water and stir until it thickens.  
5. Place the mixture in a greased oven-proof bowl or casserole dish.  
6. Strategically place blobs of mozarella cheese in the bowl and on top.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes/ 350 degrees. 
Viva la Ialia.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Have a fun trip!

My Menu Plan is up too! :)