Sunday, December 2, 2007

Menu planning with gusto



One of the BEST ways that I really can free up my time to actually GET organized is to menu plan.  One blog writer that I admire and has been a source of inspiration for me is "organizing junkie" as she calls herself.  She's a great blogger and is working toward being a professional organizer.  
So, she has inspired me to not only plan, but post a menu plan for the week.  This shouldn't be so esoteric as it sounds since most people give a little bit of forethought to eating and preparing food, especially when they have a family.  
 
Here are the challenges to menu planning when you have a highly creative mind and whimsical nature: you don't want to follow the plan! (true confessions!)  So, this week, I really am going to try to discipline myself to EAT what's on that plan, how hard can that be?  

Monday:barbecue beef (moose) on buns, broccoli salad 
Tuesday: refrigerator chicken casserole/ sauted veggies
Wednesday: stuffed shells/ salad
Thursday: wildrice chicken salad
Friday: green chili enchilladas
Saturday: fettucini with jarred alfredo sauce with cooked chicken bits)
Sunday: Thai chicken salad
 
Most people put links on all of their recipes, so you can just click right to it.  I must admit that none of them have links, I got them out of cookbooks--those things with paper... I  know, I know... really non-techno.  In order to quell at least part of your curiosity, I've decided to actually add one of my recipes right to this post.  
If I were reading this blog, I would HAVE to know what could possible be edible about "refrigerator chicken casserole".  It comes from the 1984 version of Our Favorite Recipes from the little church up the hill from where I grew up.  Incidentally, I have a fetish for these relic cookbooks and recipes that will never rear their frugal heads near the likes of the Martha or Rachel Ray type of cookbooks.  
So, here goes!  I've never sampled this one, so proceed and digest at your own risk.  Remember, people who have big families eat like this all of the time: a bunch of weird ingredients, slathered in 4 1/2 pounds  of cheddar cheese.  
p. 50 of "Our Favorite Recipes", Grace Lutheran Church



Refrigerator Chicken Casserole:
2 1/2 cups of cooked chicken
2 c. elbow macaroni, uncooked
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 3/4 c. chicken broth 
1 small onion chopped
1/2 pound of cheese, diced
1/4 t. salt
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
5 oz. can of water chestnuts, thinly sliced.  
Combine ingredients and pour into a well greased 9X13 pan.  Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.  Unover and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees for one hour.  

If anyone is dying to know the recipes for any of the other things I've listed, I'll be glad to unleash them into the web world.  Somehow, I don't think the little church on the hill has web page yet.  I did find this, just incase you want explore the world of chicken-casserolery.


1 comment:

Org Junkie said...

Welcome to MPM!! Have a wonderful week!