Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sense and Sensibility...


Tackle it? Tuesday..


Tackle It Tuesday Meme

I'm not sure I can really call it tackling, since I can do it almost entirely in a recumbent position.   I did attempt to read the famous novel of Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibilty.  Since my very erudite daughter, all of 13, recommends this work, I thought I should read it.  

Humph..  Here's a little fun for you.. "His imprudence had made her miserable for a while; but it seemed to have deprived himself of all chance of ever being otherwise.  She might in time regain tranquility, but he, what had he to look forward to?" (chap 33)  

translation: He dumped her, and she'll get over it.  What is he going to do now? 

I love 19th century literature; it only requires 50 or so words to say what we might say in 10? Neverthless, it IS fascinating: the interwoven plots, the timing of coincidences, the toil and anguish of the suffering, and the pure, unadulterated elation in which young hearts dream.  It really is a different world.  

So, needless to say, there hasn't been a lot of housework getting done by me.  My kids... now that's a different story.  Erudite daughter and futurelawyer are busy painting his new room.  We had a snow day today, so our regular Tuesday madness--co-op classes and such were cancelled.  Robotdude is better and catching up with scads of trig and biology.  The rest are painting.  I'm winning the lazy mom award.  Such is life!   

3 comments:

April Decheine said...

This reminds me to get back to reading! Very nice, even with my two oldest gone I swear the house work is the same :-)
I am up[ over here April Decheine Wife and Mother

~Rhen said...

I really must take some time to read and I am not talking about reading blogs!! That is something I miss doing.

Heather said...

LOL So true! My daughter is struggling through The Awakening by Kate Chopin (1899) and the wordiness is really getting to her. We're just not accustomed to that these days. I started reading it with her last night, though, "translating" a few things for her, and I think we're both thoroughly hooked into the storyline now... ;o)