Sunday, May 4, 2008

Beans and Rice! Probably my favorite food!


A lot of people think it's weird how often we eat beans and rice--like it's sort of un-American or something. Well, it is very American--central American to be exact. We had a 3 year stay in the Republic of Panama, which may have contributed a little bit to our liking beans and rice. But I do not really make them the way the Latinos like them. I've come up with my own version. I'm sure there are better ways, but here is what I do:

Beans: I like black beans the best. Empty the entire bag and soak the dry beans for 4 hours in water. Dump off the water and start with fresh water when you add them into the pressure cooker. The ratio of beans to water is 1 to 2. So, for every cup of dry beans, add 2 cups of water. (I typically wing it ) Easy enough? If the beans have been soaking, they should only require about 15 minutes of cooking in the pressure cooker. If you are putting them in without soaking first, it takes 30 minutes.

I like the way beans taste in the pressure cooker rather than the all day crock pot thing. This leaves the beans sort of firm-ish, without being mush.

To cook the rice I use brown basmati rice. The ratio is the same: 1 to 2. For every one cup of rice= 2 cups of water. You can follow the directions on the back of the bag. It takes about 40 minutes.

In a separate pan, fry these veggies in butter:
garlic, onions, green peppers, celery, corn, maybe a jalapeno or two. Add some salt to the mix.

How to serve the beans and rice:

Scoop a pile of rice on to a plate, add a pile of beans, then scatter the sauteed veggies over that.

Optional other things to put on top: salsa, sour cream, grated cheese, cooked meat, etc.




3 comments:

Niki said...

I have been experimenting with more beans lately and I am going to give this one a try. Actually I don't have a pressure cooker yet but I am planning on getting one soon. That might be why I never liked homemade beans because they went mushy...now I know. Thanks and hopefully I will be eating beans and rice too....It's definately not a Canadian thing...LOL

Erin said...

Okay, sorry for being dense, but can you send me an email explaining exactly what you do with the seasonings? Do you saute them with the cooked rice? Then do you add the beans...I really want to try this recipe but I'm feeling a bit lost as I can't picture the process. Thanks! Erin

Emy said...

Yum!! I'll have to try this. We like to eat black beans over rice, and top it with homemade salsa and sour cream - if we're feeling particularily "rich and famous", we'll add avocado and cheese too. We love it even though neither of us grew up on beans and rice!!