Friday, June 20, 2008

Frugal Fridays.. candle ends

So, what do you do with the candles when they still have some great-smelling wax still in them, but the wick is too low to light?  

Here's what I do.  I make a double boiler by placing a pan of water on the stove on medium heat.  Then I put the glass candle holder in the water to melt the wax.
Once the wax is melted, I dump it into a small crock pot next to the stove.  This pot collects smelly candle-ends.  I make sure to strain out the wick and any "ickys" that are floating in the candle.  I had mostly red and orange candles, so they even look pretty in the pot.


Now, I take a paper towel and wipe out the remains of the candle jar.  See? I've already collected four of these this year.  Now... what kind of cool things can I store in these?   Hhhhmmm....  I could get thrifty and pour my own candles.  Or I could put pretty beads or sewing notions.  Or.. playdough?  You see how fun this is.  Happy Thrifting!

4 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Another brilliant idea! I have some candles that burned low that I couldn't bear to get rid of because they smelled so good. Now, if I could just collect a few more, I could try this idea out!

Organizing Mommy said...

A small crock pot fills up pretty fast. You don't need a whopping ton of candles to get started. Thanks. I enjoy your blog also!

CraftTeaLady said...

I always just put mine in the freezer for an hour or so and they pop right out. Doesn't smell as nice, but it gets the job done. :)

Elizabeth - Scrappygolden said...

I'm so glad I found this - I have several old candles in a cabinet at home. I just knew there had to be a way to get the old wax out so I could put a new votive in. And as luck would have it I have a small crockpot that I'm not using.

Thank you so much for sharing this! :)