Wednesday, July 23, 2008

B-52 Crash.. remembering

It is with much reverence and respect, I am writing.  Although I do not know the 6 crew members of the recent B-52 crash in Guam on July 21, 2008,  I have much respect for them and their families.  You see, I was once a young wife with young children waiting for my man in uniform to arrive safely home after his B-52 missions each night.  Every day was a different "show time".  Every mission was a different "flight plan".  Every map was a new "chart".  After his grueling 16 hour day, he would come home in a JP4 smelling flight suit, hair all greasy from helmet head and lay head long on the living room floor.  He wouldn't even notice the candle-lit dinner I had prepared.  He was too tired to eat it.  I didn't even mind that he didn't eat it, as long as he was HOME.. and safe.  

I don't know what it was like for the other military wives, but for me, every second he was in the air was a full-time prayer meeting.  Knowing that danger was always present in the air--combat or not-- was always my concern.  

Sure, you could tell me the plane was safe and had a good flight record.  Sure, you could tell me we have a great training program and all that is true.  But.. this.. a crash.. is every wife's fear when her husband is a pilot.  

Somewhere out there, there are grieving wives and children and parents and friends for these men.  My husband has been out of the military for about 8 years now.  I never realized how hard it was until we got out and I no longer lived in a stress capsule anymore.  I can only imagine what they must be going through.  May God give them strength. 

For those of you reading, have you ever seen a B-52? It is enormous!! 
This is what it looked like the last time it crashed in 1994 (I think).  Look how FAST it fell out of the sky!  


2 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

This is a beautiful post--clearly, the sort of words that can only be uttered by the voice of experience. We all need to remember the incredible sacrifice, not just of the people in the military themselves, but also the sacrifice of their families, and the genuine valor it takes to live in that "stress capsule" for the sake of our nation's protection.

Thank you for the years you put in!

Kathi said...

Thanks for this moving way of honoring those who've given the ultimate sacrifice to protect our country. How well I remember the days when your DH was flying missions. SCARY! With one of my sons in the military, I am again painfully aware and prayerful. We need to support our troops with prayers, communications, respect, and appreciation!