Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A good remembrance is not clutter...

While visiting my parents up north, I noticed a really interesting rug on the back of the couch.  I asked Dad why it said, "RAY" in various spots.  First of all, I should tell you about RAY.  Ray was a childhood friend of my Dad's.  They played marbles and neighborhood games as children and basketball as teens.  They both were math teachers and had children around the same time.  As Ray's marriage fell apart,  he moved up north.  He hunted at the cottage and loved to bowl and play golf.  A few years ago, he died.  

My Mom, who always had a tender heart for Ray, took his bowling shirts and cut them into strips.  She wove them into a carpet on her loom, while preserving his name to hand stitch on top.  The rug proudly sits on the couch where Ray liked to sit. 

Here's the full size.  My Mom also made a similar rug for his only daughter.  I thought it was a great idea.  Thanks Mom.


I think we are starting to look alike, what do you think? 
July 3, 2008 


1 comment:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Yes! You and your mom definitely look alike. What fun. I like your mom's rug, too. What a creative idea. I can see where you get some of your talent from.