Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Recipe for Blueberry "Buffalo" Remake

This recipe bears repeating. I posted this almost exactly two years ago, and it's time to remind my new readers about this great recipe. Hope you are enjoying your blueberries!!

I made this recently and realized it needed some tweaking. If you've made this before and noticed it was a little too dry, I am changing it a little. Hope you like the remix.



For the recipe:

In a bowl mix the batter:
2 cups brown sugar
1 c. oil
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 cups milk
Mix thoroughly. You probably don't want to use a mixer for this recipe--just mix with a spoon.

In a different bowl:
6 cups wheat flour or a combination of wheat and white flour
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

Combine ingredients
(This makes a thick batter)

Fold in: 6 cups of blueberries.

Spray the large roaster pan, and distribute the thick mass into it. (The picture shows a 9 x 13. I have been making it in my large roaster lately)

Next, we make a crumble to go on top. You can vary the ingredients for the crumble or eliminate this altogether for a healthier version. I also will use pecans occasionally.

Crumble:
1 cup white sugar
1 stick melted butter
2 cups chopped walnuts
2 t. cinnamon

Combine the crumble ingredients and distribute evenly across the top.

Baking: 350 degrees for about 1 hour.

About the name/origin of the recipe: "Blueberry Buckle" was the original name for this. It was from one of my mom's friends in the U.P. of Michigan. As kids we loved this! At the time, there was a joke about "buffalos" circulating around our family, so we dutifully perseverated on the "buffalo" theme enough to crown a recipe with its name. It has been "blueberry buffalo" ever since..

picture August 2008/ Hudson and Emily

5 comments:

Kathi said...

Thanks for the recipe! Believe it or not, we managed to down 17.5 pounds of blueberries in less than a week (with the help of blueberry pies for the youth group, blueberry muffins, pancakes..hmm...not to healthy are we??), so I'm going to run out to the store to buy some more to make Blueberry Buffalo (like that better than Buckle anyway) tomorrow!I've been drooling all over your blog just waiting for the recipe :)

Mrs. Parunak said...

This looks really good. I grind my own flour, too. :) So, I especially appreciate a "customized" fresh flour recipe. I wanted to make it for breakfast this morning, so I could tell you how it turned out in my comment, but I ran out of time. That 50-53 minute cooking time is a killer in the morning! I may have to make it for our snack to serve at prayer meeting on Wednesday instead of for breakfast.

The dB family said...

Yum! I want to make this! However, I'm missing a key ingredient. There are still no blueberries yet in this neck of the woods. I sure hope they come, because we need our blueberries!

Blessings!
Deborah

Mrs. Parunak said...

An improved Blueberry Buffalo? I just might have to try this. Maybe even tonight since it's Wednesday (prayer meeting and fellowship time).

Sarah said...

Will try it out as soon as we get blueberries!