Monday, August 4, 2008

Thoughts on the simple life and Tackle it Tuesday

The Simple Life.. the phrase has always eluded me.  Occasionally I have heard people talking about the simple life in such a way that makes me wonder why I have never gotten it.  I read a book once that really befuddled the issue for me, it was called  "A Busy Woman's Guide to Simple Living".  It involved "simple things" like heating your house solely with a wood stove, and growing everything yourself  etc. etc.  

Not to be critical of the author, but I just didn't get it.  

But now, something has happened.  It may involve, in a small way, getting it.  Look at these.

I still can't believe that these were a small seed a few weeks back.  It's HUGE.  





One thing that has changed.. is me.  I now realize that part of the "simple life" is rejoicing in simple things.  I can not believe how going out there and looking at those pumpkins has cheered me up.  Like realizing there's a rainbow somewhere out there and then finding it, that's kind of how I feel. 



Here's a little something I've been working on.
There's a story behind this.  Look closely at the fabric, there's not more than two squares that are alike.  That's because they were all scraps.  I bought a $5.00 scrap lot from a nearby quilt shop.  Some of the scraps were bigger: the brown and light green, but most were just little squares.  This is sort of an off-set log cabin thingy.  
The inside was a 1 yard/ 50% off piece from the same collection.  Yes, there is a zipper.  I like to make bags with zippers!

This is my "first draft" of a fanny pack pattern that I am making.  Sewing is rough, but you get the idea.
Pink lining, anyone? 


9 comments:

christinnjon said...

Wow that is amazing work there! I love that handbag! The colors, the designs, the whole thing is adorable! I wish I were handy with sewing. It's on my "to do" list to learn! Nice work!

Brenda said...

Oh! I love your handbags! The colors are just perfect for fall. I'm envious of your sewing ability!

Paige said...

Wow, that bag is beautiful! That must have taken you hours and hours to make.

The Apron Queen said...

I'm jealous over your watermelons! We've grown them a few times. You're in for a treat! :) I'm tackling virtual clutter. I'm de-cluttering my blog & store. Pop over for a look.

Confessions of an Apron Queen

Kristi said...

I have a few pumpkins growing in my garden too and they are just delight. I'm convinced they grow an inch over night. Great bag too. I might be able to hot glue one of those, but sewing? It wouldn't look as great as yours. :-)

Kathi said...

Great bags! I'm all into zippers too; keeps stuff from falling in or out. My purse used to be like O'Hare Airport: you can always get in, but you can never get out. Or, in purseology, a purse will hold everything a child wants to put in there, but you can never find it again!

Hey, I made Blueberry Buffalo this morning, and it's a TOTAL hit! Thanks for the recipe. :)

princessmomma said...

Beautiful work. I love the bag.

Scrapping Servant said...

Thank you for your prayers - they are felt and appreciated more than you know.

Love in Him <>< Carolyn

Muthering Heights said...

Those bags are just beautiful! Great tackles!

I too have often thought that maybe I just don't "get" simple living...