Monday, October 20, 2008

6 Random things I've learned recently...

I've been tagged by: Mrs. Parunak of Titus 2 to list 6 things I've learned recently.  Here are my mid-life learnings.. in full color.


1. Just because a 3 year-old child says she wants to grow her hair out, there really is nothing to control the exact timing of when that will change.  After finding the clippings of her blonde locks on the bathroom floor, I learned that.. "I've been wanting my hair to be cut for FOUR days!"  So, now, her forehead looks like a peacock, since she never told US she wanted her hair cut AND she took care of business "all by her own self.. "

2.  On a more reverent note, I was reading today in Hebrews 11 that Moses' parents were commended for their lack of fear.  It made me wonder how many of my parenting decisions are fear based, rather than faith based?  
3.  As political elections heat up around here, I have learned that really any political candidate can take credit for this.  (Lower gas prices)  
4.  These may look like scallops, but I learned this week that they are actually "chicken", according to my four year old.  (If she calls anything chicken, that means she likes them) Who wudda thunk?
5.  Renta-yenta.  I finally learned what a Yenta is.  All of these years I've thought a Yenta was a Jewish match-maker.  She's just a busybody gossip.  If I have been a matchmaker in the past, does that mean I was just a busybody?  
6.  Some lessons are best learned by reading and not experiencing.  Unfortunately, this lesson we had to learn first hand.  If you are in Chicago and trying to save money by parking on the street, don't!  The $20.00 you would have spent parking does NOT compare to the $160.00 towing fee, AND the $100.00 traffic violation of parking too close to a fire hydrant.  
Yup.  (don't forget the taxi fee to the pound) 

O.K. I tag: C.C., Green and Pink Mama, Fairy flutters, the Ott family, and Sarah.

8 comments:

Mary H. said...

That number 2 is really a good point. I'm going to have to ponder that one for a while.

Renta-Yenta said...

I am honored that you used my site www.renta-yenta.net to learn what the word "yenta" means.

If you cared enough to be a matchmaker to people you loved, that is wonderful. That makes you a "mensch" (a kind and loving soul) and a "yenta" (a person who cares enough to tell those she loves that she might not agree with all of their choices or behaviors).

Both of these words describe people who worry about and care for those they love. Being a yenta, in my opinion, is a wonderful thing to be....so enjoy knowing that you make a difference in a positive way. Yeah for you!!!

Organizing Mommy said...

Renta-yenta! I hope you don't mind that I used your site. I thought it was great! Here's the thing. I am a match-maker, and my DH calls me a "yenta" for it. If being a yenta means you speak your mind whether or not you agree with someone, then I am definitely a YENTA. Nice meeting you! I tried leaving a note on your site, but I didn't have luck. Maybe I'll be sending you some business??

The Chatty Housewife said...

I don't understand the scallops/chicken thing? And why is chicken in quotations? Interesting post though!

The Chatty Housewife said...

Thanks for the clarification on that one! :)

Mrs. Parunak said...

Ah, the peacock girl. Well, she looks better than when I gave myself a haircut during one of my mom's naps. I though it would look so cool if it were short on one side and long on the other. Yeah. Actually, it didn't so much.

I loved number 2, also. Great point! And renta-yenta looks like fun. I must go visit. As for Chicago, yes, the last time we were there, we were horrified by the price of parking. Now I think maybe we got a bargain.

CC said...

Yikes, you tagged me. I will see what I can come up with.

Well, if memory serves me right, wasn't Yenta the matchmaker in the musical "Fiddler on the Roof"? (I'm singing it already).

The bangs scenario happened to me when our youngest daughter decided she wanted bangs. Unfortunately, she cut them minutes before we were walking out the door. There are many things I have found out minutes before we were walking out the door that added minutes until we actually walked out the door (I especially remember the red marker on my one-year-old's face---the kids made him look like an Native American on the war path). Oh well, ya gotta love learning.

Kathi said...

Oh, I am so sorry! I was with Lizzie in Chicago once...parked in a long line of cars picking up kids from school. When we returned an hour later, all the cars were gone...to the car pound in the bowels of somewhere under Chicago. It was a bit of a nightmare, and the cost was outrageous. They play rough!