Friday, October 31, 2008

Creative household hacks? or.. you tell me!

Thank you.. thank you.. thank you for all who responded to my "Works for Me" question.  I was trying to decide if yet (another) book needs to be written helping busy moms stay motivated about exercising.  It seems like everyone exercises just fine without my hip-hopping around, but maybe not.  While you are thinking about whether or not there is a need for a book to be written with a fresh look on getting in shape for over-worked moms, I have yet another idea I'm batting around..  


...If you can not tell WHAT this is from the above photo, it is a "cup station".  It is made from a piece of wood that lines the back of the counter, just left of the sink.  I asked my handy hubby to route out seven holes, the approximate size of cups.  With seven people milling around here, we can have a lot of cups accumulating.  

The idea is that each person sets his cup in the assigned spot.  If you look closely, you can see each of our children's names: oldest to youngest.  Jamie is really James, but we always call him Jamie.. i.e. "Robotdude" or "Houston".   This cup station was painted in a few coats or brown with brown texture that I had leftover from another project.  I just used paint in the squeeze bottles for the rest of the names.  As far as I know, this is my own invention.  Then again, probably others have similar things going on.

Which reminds me of the next thing I want to bring up.. A Meme.. I need a Name for a Meme.. (does that rhyme?)  

I want to create weekly Meme that encompasses a few ideas.  I want to encourage creativity, frugality and repurposing.  I want to create a spot in which people can share their "household hacks"--ideas and things they've come up with from basic things they already have or have purchased second hand.  These household hacks can include: food combinations, clothing or fabric, household things, homemade wood/ rubber/ metal, or just basic repurposing of stuff.  

1. Is this a good idea?
2 Any name ideas? 

For an example of a cool household/ creativity hack, I like this: Elliphantom Knits.  She has taken apart a sweater and made it into something very useful for herself: fresh yarn to knit with.   I love a useful idea like this!! 

2 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

I was really surprised at all the "yes, I exercise!" answers you got. I wonder if you just tend to be an exerciser magnet. I know a LOT of young moms who have an awful time exercising. The trouble I hear most often from my friends is: what can I do with my kids? Older kids who are too big for strollers, but too little to walk fast enough to give Mom any exercise are especially perplexing. Problem two is, "WHEN?". My homeschool mom friends have incredibly packed schedules, and it's really hard for them to cram exercise in. Also, a lot of them are working hard at raising a large family on one income an can't afford "luxuries" like gym memberships. I think if you could write a book about how a mom could get exercise FOR FREE that could fit into a homeschool schedule with creative ideas for how to involve/distract the kids, plus seasonal modifications for those of us who live with cold weather for half the year, it would be GREAT! And don't forget to include modifications for pregnancy and postpartum as well as ideas for strengthening those worn out, aching hips and backs that plague moms of many, and you'll have all my friends blessing you.

CC said...

I like your meme idea. I have to admit that I had to look that word up. Name suggestions?...Let's see..."The Redeem Team: A Meme". I'm just playing around.

I also like your cup station. Well, they say "necessity is the mother of invention". We ran into the unidentified cup scenario about a year ago. My solution came in the mail: those CDs that I wasn't going to use. I saved these and wrote each person's name on the groovy side of the CD. We lined everyone up (the CDs---two-by-two) on the counter, and it has been wonderful! Easy to clean, and I think I have only had to rewrite the names once this past year.

However, I really like your cup station. It can even be moved (by mom or dad). Nice handiwork by all! Cheers!