Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's not just about money.. but

It's been almost an entire year since I've started blogging.  It took me some time to actually see the value in it.  For those who don't have blogs, you are probably wondering the same thing.  Isn't that A LOT  of work for.. what? 

 Despite the unexpected blessings of meeting complete strangers who happen to be cut out of the same cloth  (Kathy, Andrea, Laura.. and many others), there is the basic intrinsic value of having a place in which to deposit my random thoughts. 

 Lest I completely overwhelm my family with my ramblings, I have a random audience who can click me off at will..without me EVER getting offended.  Aah.. the beauty of technology eliminates the need for social graces..  But I digress..  

Despite this abstract beauty, there are some material blessings from all of this also.  
Exhibit A: Cleaner CLR


It arrived in the mail this week from a complete stranger.  It's a beautiful thing.  I entered a contest for 5 Minutes for Mom and plan to post on this coming week's tackle.  No, I didn't receive anything I couldn't have purchased on my own.  But it came FREE and with an incentive to get cleaning my house.  

Exhibit B: Yoplait yogurt..

Here again, I entered a contest at 5 Minutes for Mom.  I was chosen randomly for this yogurt package, with coupons, a freezer container and two "Brain Quest" deck of cards.  Gifts from a perfect stranger. 

Exhibit C:
Somehow my techie kids figured out how to get my ad money off of Google AdSense.  Even though it was not HUGE, it was something.  So, I met one of my goals before I turn 40--to make some money off of my blogging adventures.  Complete strangers clicking on random ads.  It's a nice thing, and so far none of them have been offensive that I've noticed.  

So, there you go.  Three free things all in the same month.  And they're paying me to do what??? Have fun, I guess.  

7 comments:

Org Junkie said...

Yay for free! We'd be crazy not to love the perks :) If you'd have asked me two years ago whether or not I'd ever think I could be paid for doing what I love while being able to stay home with my son, I'd have said you were nutso!

Congrats!

Kathy said...

Congrats on your almost year anniversary! Free is always nice. . .particularly in today's economy.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I've only entered one contest, and I didn't win, BUT I sure do enjoy the other blogging perks you mentioned.

Kalisha said...

Free has always been my middle name and I love getting samples! That CLR is pretty cool I have to admit. I've been running around the house looking for things to clean! Saying, "CLR-it!" Even my blog parnter couldn't resist talking about cleaning with her CLR while she was having romantic time with her husband!

Organizing Mommy said...

Kalisha,
Thanks for warning me! I'm planning a romantic weekend, and I'll have to be sure to get the CLR "high" over with before I go.. Hilarious!

Kathy said...

Where are you? No post since Tuesday has me wondering. . .

Kathi said...

I don't understand this one. Can you email me or call me and explain how you're making money and entering contests? It sounds fun.