Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day after Thanksgiving rolls and menu planning.

Hey!! I'm back!  Wow! I'm not sure I've ever taken an entire week off from blogging.  I was constantly wanting to write, but I held off.  Sometimes creativity really simmers that way.  I took a lot of pictures and got some ideas.  

We had a great holiday.  It was probably our most low-key Thanksgiving holiday ever.  I had a chance to write my organizing story.  It's a side blog with only one post.  I do not plan to write regularly on that blog, but I just wanted a space to talk about : my organizing story. It's also a link on the sidebar.

For this week's menu:
Tuesday: lasagna/ bread/ salad
Wednesday: chicken casserole (tuna magic with chicken)
Thursday: ham, potatoes, veggies

Now, I have to give you my OWN recipe for: day-after-Thanksgiving rolls!!  They are wonderful.. a direct launch into carbohydrate-indulgence heaven.

Do they look awesome?

First things first.  Always, I mean always.. cook enough mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving day to have three cups of leftover potatoes.

Add: 3 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
          1/4 cup of honey
  3 cups of milk and
  1/2 stick of butter to a pot and heat it until the butter is melted.

In the mixer bowl:
Add: 7 cups white flour
                 1 1/2 cups whole grain flour (I used spelt)
  3 T. yeast
  1 T. salt

Mix the dry ingredients together. While the mixer is spinning slowly, add the wet ingredients to the mix.  



Add more white flour as needed to make a soft dough.
Go ahead; get your hands in it.  This is SO fun.

Divide up the dough and spray the cookie sheets/ (pans with edges).

Cut the ridges in the bread BEFORE it rises.  I used a: ravioli cutter.


Kids love this.
You can put the extra in a small crock if you run out of pans!

Bake 375* for 25 minutes.  YUMMY! 

For more MPMs check out: organizing junkie.

6 comments:

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Great menu. And those rolls do look awesome!

Sharon said...

YES, those rolls look delicious! ;) And you're little girl is so cute helping you. I always liked helping my mom cook for the holidays.

Thanks for the link for the beans & rice. We do several meatless meals, and I'm always looking for variety to it. Thanks!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Those rolls do look awfully good, and easy, too. I would love to try them.

lisha said...

Oh, my...Those rolls look fantastic! Thanks for sharing your menu:)

Brenda said...

I make rolls all the time, pinching off dough and rolling it between our hands trying to make them all the same size. I never thought about rolling them out in a cookie sheet and scoring them with a pizza cutter. This would be much easier, and they look yummy! Thanks for the idea.

CC said...

I loved your organizing story link! Sorry, I have taken a nice break too. So glad to catch up again.

So much to be thankful for---including those rolls. However, I guess I am just not at that point where I am thankful for my rolls of ...fat. Oh Well...gotta do the blitz!