Thursday, November 20, 2008

True or False? Time Management Survey

This is a true/false time management survey given to us at the Promise of Life Temple.  For each time you answer TRUE, give yourself 1 point.

I have more than enough time to do what I want to do.

I spend time with God on a regular basis.

I look forward to every day.

There are no people in my life (at home or work) who drain me.

I love my home (location, contents, the feel, the style).

I have no clutter in my home or office.

I live a life pursuing what I want instead of what I should do.

My work is satisfying and rewarding.

I attend and participate in church activities on a regular basis.

I do not work on weekends.

I get plenty of sleep.

I have plenty of quality time with my children and/or the people who matter to me.

I have at least one hobby or pastime outside of my work and family activities.

I eat foods that make me feel energized instead of sluggish.

I have the space to take at least 15 minutes a day of silence a day.

I have friends that are easy to be with and a joy to spend time with.  I carry no heavy or emotional burdens or addictive behaviors. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
How did you do?  If you have an 8 or more, your life is fairly in balance.  If you scored lower, you may need some help.  

Here is how I answered the survey.


I have more than enough time to do what I want to do.

TRUE: I do have more than enough time to do what I want to do, especially since I WANT to do everything I HAVE to do!

I spend time with God on a regular basis.
TRUE: Almost every morning I spend time with the Lord, reading his Word and praying to him.  It's nothing fancy.

I look forward to every day.
TRUE: I can not recall a day that I did not look forward to.

There are no people in my life (at home or work) who drain me.
TRUE: Yes, I am married to a godly man, and that helps.  But I do not allow people to zap my energy.  Sometimes I've had people give me a run for my money, but they have never had my permission to drain the tank dry. 

I love my home (location, contents, the feel, the style).
TRUE: After living in all sorts of weird locations over the years, I can truly say that I'm happy HERE.  Maybe we had to live in a lot of bat caves before the current "castle" was ours.  Much of loving your home is a state of mind also, but this is truly a decent place.

I have no clutter in my home and/or office.
True: This was a hard one.  Even when the place gets cluttery, it's not so bad that we couldn't get rid of the clutter in a half hour clean up.  I do not own large rusty tractors or a lot of junky junk or clothes that don't fit, etc. 

I live a life pursuing what I want instead of what I should do.
True: This was easy.  I want to do what I should do.  Joy comes from obedience.  Why would I want to do that which is contrary to what God has for me? 

My work is satisfying and rewarding. 
True: Being a wife and Mom is the BEST thing I could hope to be doing!!  I enjoy the outside things I do also, but the main thing is the main thing.  I am so privileged to be able to do it!

I attend and participate in church activities on a regular basis.
True: We have built our lives and schedules around the local church.  Even though I don't go on and on about it here, it is a big part of our lives.

I do not work on weekends.
False:  I work all of the time.  A man works from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done.
The way I deal with the working all of the time syndrome is to change and vary the activities enough, so that nothing feels particularly burdensome.  You can spread the work load out, and give yourself a variety of things to do.  I take plenty of breaks when I need them also.  If anyone used to give me the "aren't your kids supposed to be doing school now?" sort of argument when we all needed a break, I would just smile and say, "We're in this for the long haul.  It really is not going to stunt their education if I take a break today."  So far, this rationale has kept me sane.  

I get plenty of sleep.
True:  I know this sounds crazy, but I really do get enough sleep.  If I feel like I didn't get enough during the night, I just take a nap.  It's one of the blessing of being at home.

I have plenty of quality time with my children and/or the people who matter to me.
False: I never have enough time with my children or the people who matter to me.  I guess that is what eternity is for: catching up with EVERYONE!!

I have at least one hobby or pastime outside of my work and family activities.
True: One hobby??  Try several hobbies!!  I really thrive on a little creative outlet here and there.  Especially when the kids were younger and I didn't feel like I was making progress anywhere, it was so nice to hold up a new dress or shirt that I made and know that :it's not going to get un-sewed as soon as I was done with it--unlike the meals, laundry, dishes and ironing.


I eat foods that make me feel energized instead of sluggish.
True:  Here again, I don't write a health-food blog because there are far too many of those out there already, but the truth is this: we do eat pretty healthy.  Food is fuel.  With as many pilates classes I teach a week, if I don't get the "power foods" in me I'll 1) collapse during teaching a class and  2) get grumpy a lot sooner.  We will often finish off a healthy, balanced meal with a nice fattening dessert made with real sugar.  Somehow, after a good dose of protein and vegetables, the moderately sized dessert tastes so yummy and does not give the sluggish feeling afterward. 

I have the space to take at least 15 minutes of silence a day.
True: I have some time in the morning and before bed.  I have to fight for it though.  If I haven't been able to have some time by myself, I end up staying up late just to get it in.  

I have friends that are easy to be with and a joy to spend time with.  I carry no heavy emotional burdens or addictive behaviors..
True!  This is so true.  I feel so sorry for people who are in dysfunctional relationships or are gripped by the demons of addictions.  You have my prayers, because I could NOT stand up under the weight of it.  Only the Lord Jesus can help you! 

So, how did you do? 

3 comments:

stACEy said...

I got 14 :OOOH:

yeah me !

and wow to you! that is agreat questionaire

Mrs. Parunak said...

I got a 10. I always have way more ideas than time, so I couldn't honestly say "true" on the first one, although, I guess if God doesn't give me the time to do something, then it means that it isn't the best thing for me to be doing, so why would I want to do it? So does that mean I get an 11? Probably not until I really clean up my attitude when I don't get to do the things I think I want to do. I'm afraid I do still let people drain me from time to time, but I'm working on it. And, ahem, yes, we do have some clutter here and there. I'm also working on that. I work on weekends, too, of course; that goes with the territory of being a wife and Mommy. (But I don't think it really belongs on this list. Weekend work is a natural part of life.) Sleep? What's that? I have little ones.

Organizing Mommy said...

Update: Robotdude took a look at this and said, NO clutter??? In other words, he think we still have a lot of clutter here! O.K. so now we know what his house will look like when he grows up. Kids don't lie. All I can say is: everything that I have jurisdiction over is pretty well clutter-free, but there are others in the family who cling on to their "precious stuff" more than I do. LOL