Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday.. little motivators..


...Do you need little motivators to get you working toward finishing something?  I'm always looking for ways to trick myself into thinking I'm having a fun time doing something.  Here are my most common tricks.

1. Set the timer for a random number like 18.  How much kitchen work can I get done in 18 minutes? 

2. Pick a number of shirts--24--to iron and then stop. 

3. Set up a work for 12 minutes/ play for 12/ cycle.  (Play can be: a phone call, a computer task, or knitting..)

4. Give a dessert reward for "the clean-up crew" when the house needs a once-over.  

These are just some of my self-motivators.. For other works for me ideas, look at Rocks in my Dryer.

7 comments:

fairyflutters said...

Hey, great minds really do think alike! I do some of those things. Especially the timer trick. Once I get going I can't stop!! :)

SR Brandon said...

I just had to say this, my mom just got a blog!

it's called,
givingthankstothelord.blogspot.com

sandwiched said...

Oh, you totally get props from me. I don't iron (except for the occasional Girl Scout patch) . I'd have to promise myself a pedicure after ONE shirt! At 24 shirts, I'm thinking an all-expense paid trip to Mexico for some super yummy coffee(http://diapersandstilettos.blogspot.com/2008/11/works-for-me-wednesday-make-super-yummy.html).

Debbie said...

I love that idea of random numbers and counting. Great tip.

Susan said...

LOVE this - I don't want to clean the kitchen, but I can clean for 5 minutes. I can imagine incorporating this into various parts of my life. Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Those are some great ideas. I especially like the one that involves desert. :)

It's Always Something Around Here said...

I use little tricks like this too. The timer is my friend when I am not motivated too.

The dessert reward is a great idea...I am going to try that one.