Friday, December 12, 2008

Happy ho-ho to me... what I'm not doing this year for the holidays.

I seem to be getting a lot of notoriety these days from some FAMOUS organizing bloggers:  Laura, organizing junkie and Megan, Disorder2order.

What is all of the excitement about anyway? 

Well, as usual, mommies across the nation are feeling: overwhelmed, inadequate and just plain disorganized.  So it wasn't a surprise to me when that power-house of a woman, Laura, broke down and shared with her readers that she was feeling that way too.  

In the time it too me to exhale, I wrote a comment in her section.  She made an entire post of it.  GAH.  So, I thought I should atleast give it to my regular readers too.
It was less than a rough draft.  It was one of one gutteral reaction type of comments..

-----------------------------------------------------------------

All that I am giving myself permission NOT to do this year: 

I am not sending out cards.  I send a response letter to everyone who sends something to us.

I am not making cookies and all that.  (My Mom does some baking with the kids when she's here, so I still get a few nibbles)

I'm not giving my kids' teachers gifts.  (Even though we homeschool, I have 17 other people involved with our children, teaching them something)  

I'm not giving my own children gifts.  They are getting cash.

I'm not giving my dear husband anything, and he doesn't get me anything either.  

All of my holiday decor could fit into a cardboard box.  

As much as I enjoy crafting, I don't like doing it under the gun.  So no homemade crafts.  I am making a mix this year.  If you are an adult in my family, you are getting a new mix.  Looking for a mix idea, try sand-art brownies.

Boring? probably.  I'm not sweating it though.  My biggest decision for the season involves whether or not I should buy my nieces and nephews each a Target gift card or give a goat in their honor.   A goat means less clutter, but I'm not sure the little ones would like a goat.  If I could just find a little beanie baby goat to give the little ones so they could "see" the goat they gave...??  

Ho hum.  Happy simplifying.  For some odd reason, I feel no guilt whatsoever.  

Show the people you love that you love them all year round and you won't feel the need to indulge them on this little holiday, which, by the way, is so commercialized and nuts that I'm not sure Jesus would recognize it as having anything to do with him at all.  




9 comments:

bonavita said...

As long as you are happy and sane then your family will be happy, too. Thank you for sharing this. Now, I am going to make: cookies, cakes, herbed turkey breast, spicy meatballs, festive punch, a colorful salad, probably more cookies. . . all in the next 16 hours before my dinner guests arrive. In the mean time, I need to cross-country ski with my kids and talk to my husband and think about Christmas gifts that aren't purchased yet . . .unlike you, I am sweating. The great thing is that I run like this all the time so I can't offer Christmas craziness as my excuse - I have lost it on a regular basis. But, I am going to try and take a lesson from your post.

Judy said...

LOVE IT!!! A stress free Christmas! : )

Norma said...

common sense..........just in the nick of time.
i am on board!!!
have a blessed, holy and peaceful Chirstmas.

Pink & Green Mama said...

Love it and we're going to copy you and do the response letters to the cards we receive this year instead of the usual mass mailing. I'm doing some home made gifts for our family only and it has been really fun. This is the best Christmas in a long time because I'm not stepping into a mall and feeling pressured to have a hallmark holiday. Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

The Happy Housewife said...

that sounds wonderful, I am swamped knee deep in cookies, decorations, gifts, and stuff. I am definitely a bit overwhelmed and will be doing things differently next year.
Toni

Mrs. Parunak said...

Good for you for knowing what you can handle. I got pneumonia a couple years ago right after Christmas, and wound up in the hospital, narrowly escaping being put on a respirator. And I've always blamed it on the major holiday stress I had that year. I did all the decorating, all the baking, and all the feverish shopping all over town in the snow with small children (but at least we weren't barefoot walking uphill both ways!). For a solid week between Christmas and New Year's we either had a party to go to at someone else's house, or we were hosting something at our house. By the end I was the sickest I've ever been in my life. I haven't pared down quite as much as you, but I'm really trying to only do the things that I think are fun, and not to put pressure on myself about anything.

organizing a homeschool said...

I am love this great site. Many thanks guy.

Megan@Disorder2Order said...

Well, famous is not a word I would use to describe myself... maybe Laura, but not me... but thanks for the kudos!

I am so glad you did this... I am amazed at the response I have gotten and I hope you will let me follow up with you through the year to see how things are going on your "list"...

Have a super holiday!

synge lucia said...

which seems fantastic, I'm overloaded leg heavy within snacks, adornments, presents, as well as things. I'm certainly a little overcome and you will be performing points in a different way following 12 months.


www.mmo18.com
lol美服代练
lol boost