Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lists for the New Year...what I'm trying NOT to do for the New Year


While I was home visiting my family, I produced my big notebook.  It wasn't just to show my great penmanship or my illustrious gleanings from my Bible readings  or even my plans for designing a new sweater.  

No.  We were having a family debate.  Oh, don't get nervous.  We're a loud family.  We openly "discuss" everything in full color.  Whoever makes the most hilarious argument wins.  

This time it was Dad and I against Mom.  Now, I hardly ever want to gang up on poor Mom.  Mom is great, but she does not like making lists.  That's right.  Lists.  All the arm waving and such was all over the fact that dear 'ole Dad and I are HUGE fans of LISTs.  In fact, I think we're quite (equally) obsessed about it.  So, I produced my big notebook that revealed a HUGE supply of lists.  I was twittering and preening my feathers just thinking about all that "got done" that month.  Pride issues aside, it really reinforced to me how important lists are.

So, everyday this week.. until I run out of things to say... we're going to talk about lists.  How about playing along with me??  All you have to do is: do whatever list I'm doing.  You can link your list to your comment (if you put it on your blog), or you can add your list to your comment, or you can just play along at home!  

Come on! How hard can it be?  It's all about getting organized for the New Year.  
While I get your taste buds salivating for making that really cool LIST, here's a link for PRINTABLE LISTS. I printed out EACH one that applies to me, and I plan to laminate them. 

So, the daily list is this:

All that I would like to give up entirely or stop doing as soon as possible  for as long as possible (with God's help)

1. Eating for emotional reasons

2. Shopping at retail stores

3. Buying new clothes and new fabric

4. Using the computer after 9:00 p.m.

5. Eating junk food more than once a day or eliminate altogether

6. Sleeping in

7. Thinking negative thoughts about others

8. Criticizing others (in my mind as well as my mouth)


5 comments:

bonavita said...

I will comment on this post after i think about it for a while. . . in the meantime. . .I will expound upon the comment you left on my blog concerning Ezzo when I have a moment to breath - it's a little crazy around here - I know you know what I am talking about!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Great list, except, what's up with not buying new fabric?! Do you have a lot you need to use up or something? You have growing children to clothe.

Here are some things I'd like NOT to do in 2009 (or ever again, although I know I'm going to need a lot of help from the Lord to tackle these):

1. Stressing about getting the house and food ready for various company. (Our church meets in our living room on Wednesday nights, in addition to all the other entertaining we do, so you'd think I'd have it down to a science, which I sort of do, but sometimes it's a short-tempered science.)

2. Worrying

3. Letting little disappointments distract me from rejoicing in the Lord

I realize this is a lot shorter than your list, but if I actually manage to quit even one of these, I'll be really happy.

Organizing Mommy said...

Kathy, No rush. You could write all of our lists for us!!

Mrs. P, Apparently, you haven't seen my fabric supply warehouse (I mean... surplus stash).. When I run out, I will GLADLY indulge in more!!

Patricia said...

Just a quick note to let you know, I am referencing you in my blog. I plan to use your list system (what is applicable to me, at least) to help get myself and home more organized. Look for it in my New Year's Resolutions post later today. I have some other work to get done before finishing my post, and my computer time is up for now. :)

Joelle said...

It took me all day to finally read your blog - ah life with a 4 month old - what a fabulous idea. I will have to make a list of "nots" myself after the boy goes to bed!