Thursday, January 1, 2009

Keeping kids on track...

Children's accountability lists...


So, What's the List for the day??  As you know, I'm talking about lists and list ideas all week, or until I run out of ideas.  It may take a week to get some of you excited about this, but I'm going to keep trying.  

Kids' lists are what's on my heart today.

We all want our young adults to be: self motivated, mature, responsible and productive in their pursuits.  But quite honestly, I am weaning myself from all of this micro-managing that happens with toddlers and little kids.  I think the hallmark of being an adult is: knowing what needs to be done, doing it, and doing it ON TIME.  

So, I bought each of my four oldest children (ages 16-11) small spiral bound notebooks.  They are to come with these "loaded" for the next day's set of tasks during the EVENING closeout session.  (about 8:30 p.m.)  [We used to do evening devotions, and now we've switched to morning.. more on that later]

So, it is up to each child to fill in the notebook, double spaced, with  a checkbox in front of the item.  They fill it in with: Bible, chores, exercise, school work, instrument practice as well as anything special like: writing thank you notes.  

We realize that it is sometimes hard to focus in the morning, so that is why we ask them to bring it to us in the evening.  

When  a child wants to use the computer or do something special, we ask to look at their notebook.  If they have done the items, then they can enjoy some free time.  

Speaking of lists, I had better make my food for guests tonight!  Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Tim, Allyson, Emahry, and Jonathan said...

This is a great idea, I'll have to file that one in my mind for when we have older kids.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this!!!We have 8 daughters, 4 of whom are 10, 12, 16, and 17 and I really needed someone to put what I wanted into a workable solution!

Mrs. Parunak said...

This is a really wonderful idea. I expect my one, three, and five year old children are a little young, but...the day is coming. I'll have to keep this one in mind.

Anonymous said...

The every-day-ness of this is great! My children really responded well when we made lists for their (home)school work - they totally loved checking off their accomplished tasks. But the everyday chores etc is great. Thank you!
--Vicki K.