Thursday, February 26, 2009

My current health kick.. there's always something brewing!

Getting organized is huge, and sometimes we just don't have the energy to do it! We all have to face the raw facts that eating better actually makes us feel better and gives us more energy, too.

I've gone back and forth between getting really excited about healthy eating and facing the reality that it takes a lot more work to do it. This current health phase of mine does not require

1. buying any expensive equipment
2. buying strange foods that are hard to find
3. or taking hours and hours to prepare something that will be consumed immediately.


But, I am not saying that it's not weird!!

It is totally weird. That's why I love it.
For once, it's not my hair that's weird. It's just my.. food.

So, what is this weird food that I am eating??

It's probably not new to you if you read: the Lazy Organizer and Passionate Homemaking. It's called a green smoothie.

It's spinach that makes it green. Weird, I know. To make it worse, you combine several cups of leafy goodness with frozen fruit, yogurt, orange juice concentrate--to cover the taste.

There are several variations to this, but it is pretty good!

So, the next time you see me, and I have green things hanging from my teeth, you'll know it's part of the reason for my energy. Just call me pop-eye.. olive oil? Just don't call me late for my green smoothie!

Recipe:
Frozen mango (1 cup)
plain yogurt (1/2 cup)
fruit juice or water (1 cup)
spinach (2 cups)
frozen juice concentrate 2-3 spoons full
ground flax seed 1 T.
protein powder 1/4 cup (optional)

Whirl around/ blend smooth
bon apetit!


7 comments:

jacjewelry said...

Wow - that looks different, but sounds SO healthy - I feel healthier just looking at all this anti-oxidant goodness! Do you taste the spinach at all?

Shelly said...

I don't know Jena, I'm thinking it's along the lines of Tony's liver sausage sandwiches. Or that spam pizza thing you guys used to eat. No one can say your clan is not adventurous in the kitchen!

Tim, Allyson, Emahry, and Jonathan said...

We've also been experiencing green smoothie goodness. Check out our post here:
http://a-heart4home.blogspot.com/2009/02/green-smoothies.html

Hudhornet said...

It's a little more healthy than the spam-pizza loaf! I can't believe that you remember that. It does not taste like spinach.

Bobbi Jo said...

Yummy! I love green smoothies. Here's to your good health. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Blue Castle said...

I'm kind of having a hard time getting over the green part of your smoothie. Did it taste green? I've juiced before and added seagreens powder into it, but making a spinach smoothie is something I've yet to try. Maybe I should - I'm running low on energy.

Now, that should give your immune system something to go POW with. :)

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. :)

Mrs. Parunak said...

Well, it can't be any worse than Green Barley Magma, and I used to drink that in cherry juice to be social at a health nut friend's house.