Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Works for me: morning family devotions



I have to admit: I am not a morning person naturally.  Anyone who knows me and is reading this will not believe this is happening to OUR family. 

It started in late November.  I was feeling like our family needed the boost of morning devotions, as well as the structure of routinely getting up early.  There was one problem: me.  

I was going to need to change!

I talked to my DH about the plan.  He and I both agreed that 6:30 a.m. was the best time for morning devotions for the family.  It would make sure that he got to work on time, and that we had time to do what needed to get done. 

So how did I change?  I just got out of bed when it was time.  Ingenious, I know.

It's been almost three months now.  I will admit that we are tired on some mornings, like today.  But the Lord blesses these efforts.  Each child is sleepy but is not allowed to fall asleep during devotions.  

What do we do for devotions? My DH leads a discussion about the proverb we're studying, or we read from a biography.  It lasts about a half hour.  It's not fancy.  We ask each child to pray and "exchange their wills".  

So, if you're up at 6:30 and you think of us, would you pray that we would be able to continue in this path with our family? I almost hesitated to post this, since we are so NEW at early morning devotions.  On some days, I can not believe it really OUR family that is getting up early!!  Wow.  God is good.  

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh, wow! I get up for my morning devotion but haven't tried getting the kids up. Dd is a bear in the morning. I love having that time in the morning. :D

Mrs. Parunak said...

I adore getting up early. We haven't gotten going on morning devotions yet, but it sure would be nice. Right now, that's when I go to the gym because my husband can watch the kids for a little before he goes to work. Once I have a child old enough to watch the others, we should more scheduling freedom.

Steve Rusk said...

"Exchange you wills" fits good on "Works for me" Wednesday. Very nice.

The Happy Housewife said...

This is great! I would love to do this with my family too, but it seems like everyone comes downstairs starving and wanting breakfast. Good for you for having diligence in this area!
Toni