Friday, March 6, 2009

Don't eat this at my home..


A cooking flop at our house is going to involve something "green" these days.

It looked really yummy in the fresh food market, but.... maybe I should have googled a recipe?

I soaked the bunch of parsley-broccoli looking things in cold water and then proceeded to saute them in a lovely mixture of stuff that should have killed the bitterness out of anything.

Not even close.

WH: "This'll put hair on your chest!"
Me: "No kidding!"

I looked around the table to see if anyone else had tried it yet.

Robotdude managed to eat quite a few bites.

Me: "If anyone can muck this down, we're getting icecream"

So, here we are.. sitting here watching wood working videos and slurping our strawberry shakes!

It's called broccoli-rabe or rappini. Picture and recipe from this site. Maybe next time I'll use a recipe!



6 comments:

Erin said...

So, I have to ask...what made you try it?

Organizing Mommy said...

Erin, The PURE adventure of it. That's just the way I am--pure adventure. Also, I have to keep my family thinking that the spinach smoothies are sooooo good. And compared to this, they REALLY are.

I think if I followed a recipe, I might have better success. I think there's a way to "shock" the bitterness right out of them. Next time. Yes, there will be a next time because I'm weird like that.

The Happy Housewife said...

I have never even heard of that stuff. I am still trying to get the courage to try collard greens, lol! Kudos to your fam for actually trying it!
Toni

Mrs. Parunak said...

That stuff is evil. I don't think God meant it to be a vegetable. I think it must be for something else like green dye, or medicine, or insecticide.

Scribbit said...

I've heard of it many times but never fixed it yet--maybe I need to get started!

Noel said...

I don't know how the chefs on tv do it, but I've never had sauteed spinach or any other green that was edible. :)