Thursday, March 12, 2009

Getting ready for the big blitz...


For my 300th post, yes... I've really been doing this for 300 posts!!... anyway.. what we were saying? that's right. For my 300th post, I'm kicking off an introduction for a weekly carnival/ meme here at Organized Everyday called: blitz-it Friday.

This thing I call the "blitz" has really changed my life and the way I look at housework and getting organized.

It's too good not to share.

The essence of the blitz is about focusing and staying focused. We can accomplish a lot, not just in our house, but almost anywhere with an increased amount of focus.

As you can tell (I don't think I've tried to keep it a secret) I have a lot of balls rolling all at once. I like a lot of different things, so forcing myself to FOCUS is just as hard for me as it is for anyone. I call myself a curious-George A.D.D. scatterbrain at times, but I still get a lot done. Why is that? Well, the Lord is good, and he helps me! But there's more.

In order to stay focused, you have to say NO to all of the distractions that bombard you constantly. So, I have developed a practice called the blitz. My original post is here: one hour blitz. You can find the proper procedure there, if you need direction.

Before attempting a blitz, it is good to make a list of chores that are alike.

For example:

Housework chores: (involve physical activity and energy)

clean fridge
dust& vacuum living room
put away laundry
clean floor

Computer chores: (sit down time with computer)

check email
pay bill online
update blog
look for recipe on banana bread

Homeschooling chores: (sit down time--no computer)

correct papers
lesson plan


It's very hard to STAY focused when you jump from housework to computer and back to housework. There's inertia there, so we want to use our high energy times for the things that require a lot of physical strength.

Speaking of physical strength, a one hour blitz is a LONG period of time if you aren't in shape. You could probably work up to an hour. Here is an example of what I do in one hour of blitzing: I set my timer for an hour (You'd be amazed how many times I look at it in the course of an hour--am I done yet? can I quit yet?... the answer is NO!! until it beeps) and it looks like this:

So, this is what I did in one hour of focused blitzing:

1. Took out trash/ brought can to street/ replaced bag
2. Cleaned up living room--put away various things until the place looked great
3. Put in one load in washer
4. made dinner
5. vacuumed living room
6. lit candle to celebrate
7. hand washed for last 16 minutes!

So, next week sometime, try it and tell me if it works for you! I'll be giving little hints a long the way. My weekly carnival starts this week. Link up and report on your blitzing. You can take pictures if you want, or you can just use it as a butt kicker for yourself and make a simple list and link up.



6 comments:

Kathryn Armstrong said...

Hi Jena! I like your idea of the one-hour blitz. I will use it to clean my house this afternoon and see how far I get! Don't have a picture of a tornado, but I hope somebody comes up with one!

Diane said...

Hi Jena I blitzed today not realizing it till I read your post. I was able to clean and re-organize my bathroom. I cleaned up the coffee table , decluttered a lot of mess in the livingroom. It fills good to blitz and get every done. Two rooms down and a few more to go .
THanks I will be watching for your posts on blitzing.

Rina said...

Wow, this is a great idea! We've been doing this for several weeks now in the basement and we're ALMOST done cleaning it all (yes, it was THAT bad!) I'd love to join you in this, whenever I can. BTW, I love your new blog layout! I wasn't sure where I was until I scrolled down and saw your picture. :)

Molly Green said...

What a great idea! I'm always amazed at what I can get done if I just stay focused. Your blog is adorable, by the way.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I do love your blitz idea. I decided to try it with my kids today on cleaning up the toys they had all over the house. We did a ten minute blitz of tidying up, and things actually looked sane when we were done!

Bharathi said...

I'm really amazed with your talent to cook the dinner and still be able to do all other things in one hour.
I like the idea of one hour blitz, but I need to improve my skills of doing things faster