Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hospitality 101: A new series!


When I first pondered the thought of having a blog, I gave serious consideration to starting a hospitality blog. I quickly dismissed the idea because in order to have enough "blog fodder", I'd have to give detailed and incriminating information about all of our guests in order to fill the space of a blog.

Not a great idea, especially since I see humor in just about everything everyone does. It could easily turn my guests into paranoid wrecks. So, if you are sitting here reading this, wondering if you will be featured, the answer is "no" and "probably not" unless of course you would like to be. And then, you'll have to make arrangements to come back, so I can remember who you are and all...and especially the funny things you did.

Seriously, why would we even want to engage in hospitality anyway? Isn't it kind of passe? Everyone has homes to eat in and there are plenty of hotels for people to stay in, so why bother? Besides, it all takes so much TIME and MONEY and HASSLE.

Thankfully for us, modern conveniences haven't changed the basic commands of the Bible. That is why we "do" hospitality. This is also why we stay in other people's homes also. It is a biblical idea--not just for the host family but for the recipients as well. As we explore this topic together in a new series, I hope to talk about a few things.

: hospitality as a command, not as a gift
: organizing your home and life around a hospitable lifestyle
: engaging the family in the hospitality process
: being a good host
: being a good guest
: using your resources better
: enjoying the process

-----------------------------------
Hope to see you once a week for updates on this topic.

Thank you to all of the newcomers from 5 minutes for mom UBP. It's been so exciting to meet so many new friends.


7 comments:

momstheword said...

What a lovely blog! I look forward to seeing more of it. I know of another blog who does hospitality posts on Tuesdays.

Thank you for your sweet comments about my 20 year old son!

momstheword said...

I meant to say what a lovely post. I already found your blog from the Blog Party. I look forward to more of your hospitality posts.

Contemplative Mom said...

I'm looking forward to your new series. Hospitality has always been a challenge for me, and is even harder now that we have two toddlers. Thanks for sharing on this topic!

Anonymous said...

Jena, You are the Hospitality Queen. Jo-Jo is the Princess because she gets to sleep on a pea (a lego, a shoe, a dry crust of toast..whatever is on the floor) when you have house guests. I honestly have seen so many sleeping bags piled up on the living room floor that I imagined we were at campor at least in our house when you had the "Sneakies" over. Hoispitality is fun and such a blessing! Mom P.S. Don't write about me.(ha-ha)

Anonymous said...

Jena, You are the Hospitality Queen. Jo-Jo is the Princess because she gets to sleep on a pea (a lego, a shoe, a dry crust of toast..whatever is on the floor) when you have house guests. I honestly have seen so many sleeping bags piled up on the living room floor that I imagined we were at campor at least in our house when you had the "Sneakies" over. Hoispitality is fun and such a blessing! Mom P.S. Don't write about me.(ha-ha)

Comfort Joy Designs said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! Please do enter the giveaway for the Pink Champagne Shower Syrup. It will be shipped from the USA...that's where the sponsor is. :) So, don't feel bad. I'm not shipping it from Australia.

Have a Fabulous Day!
Deborah

Hospitality House of Tulsa - Toni Moore said...

Thanks for continuing the word and work of Biblical Hospitality. The understanding of that word in scripture led to my calling in ministry. We're practicing it every day at The Hospitality House of Tulsa