Thursday, March 12, 2009

Making new best friends part 4

I've gotten such positive, encouraging comments from all of you about the "making new best friends" series, that I've decided to add one more post on it.

If you are just joining us, the other posts are here:
part 1, part 2, and part 3. You can read them in any order.

Well, now that you've learned to be friendly and make friend "dates" with people, now we're going to talk about how to not overwhelm your friends, or .. er.... how not to let them overwhelm you.

So, let's go back to the beginning.

God meant for us to be social creatures, or else he wouldn't have given us the ability to talk/ communicate. I think having friends is well in the boundaries of "good things" that God would want for us.

Like all "good things" on earth like: food, hobbies, work, play, etc, they can be a little bit out of balance. Too much food makes you fat. To much work makes you a grump. To much play? makes you an American... I mean ??? Anyway, too much friendship-time can make you pull away from your God or just yourself.

God wants to be our first "intimate" friend. We can go to him with anything, at any time, anywhere. He wants to be first. All other relationships need to be subservient to that order to keep a good balance. He is the only one who can fill the tank up to the top. He is the one who can make us smile and skip and be joyful.

Things with friends get overwhelming when we try to get our tanks filled from others or they try to get them filled from us.

This isn't saying that we shouldn't try to be as encouraging and uplifting as possible! We should be!! And we should go to others to talk about our sadness and woes also. Friends are such a sweet encouragement when times are tough!

But we need to keep first things first. Don't look up to someone else, expecting them to be able to do what only God can do. And don't fool yourself into thinking that you are all someone needs when they are sad. Point them to the Lord. Teach them not just to pray, but to really depend on God.

When both people in the relationship have a real understanding of proper boundaries, things go smoothly. There's a lot more to be said about handling specific situations, but I'm going to stop here. If one of your questions/ comments spurns on another post, I'll go from there.

This is the main thought of all of this: Keep the Lord your first best friend, and all other friendships will be in balance.


Oh, and if you missed it, I'm having my first giveaway here. Just leave a comment to enter.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Hey! I love the new blog update. Haven't been over in awhile-dealing with sick kiddos & just haven't been blogging! I would have loved to have met up with you in Rockford, but I was visiting that same weekend you were out of town. Maybe next time! And I didn't get to go to that thrift store, so I'll have to check that out next time, too.

I enjoyed your series on Making new best friends. I used to be (& sometimes still am) very very shy, to the point where people think I'm stuck-up. The Lord has really been helping me over the past few years, and I am so grateful to Him! These new friendships I have made are priceless to me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bean,
I enjoy your awesome website. Kudos my girl! This is great! I am loving the making new friends series. The Lord has worked mightily to shape you and mold you into a dearest friend of many. (mostly me!)I can testify about the shyness. That has been replaced with the joy of the Lord!
I love you- Mom