Sunday, April 5, 2009

Menu plan and a great idea!



For those of you who read organizing blogs, hoping to gain a little insight on your organizing habits, or lack thereof, are just hoping for a little thing:

How can I have more time?  

Well, making dinner, worrying about making dinner and fretting over not having the right stuff to make dinner are huge problems for mommy-bloggers.  I know, I've lived it. 

I've had to remind myself of the basics that I SAID but forgot recently here: getting started with menu planning for the hopelessly confused. 

Here is what I was doing: Plan the menu on Monday,  Put the trash out on Thursday night, AND then shop on Fridays, and again on Monday and pick up stuff on Wednesday too.  

Something about this is not right. Whadda ya think? 

I had this major thought this week.  Are you ready? drum roll pleassssssseeeeeeeeeeee.....

My menu planning week has to start on Friday.  I even photocopied sheets with FRIDAY at the top.  

So, the new plan is: Clean the fridge on Thursday, put the trash out, plan the menu and make the list.  Shop on Friday because I teach pilates right near the grocery store, so I get the groceries while I'm out anyway.  

Applause.. applause.  Send that Mommy to Harvard, I know. 

AND that once a month planning thing is UP and rolling.  So far, it's going well and it's only week 1. I did put a few more hours into tweaking it for my family.  Thanks, Econobusters for the great ideas. 

So, here's the fabulous menu... (they are all going to start with Friday)

Friday: stir fry chicken and veggies with brown rice
Sunday: spaghetti and meatballs and homemade pizzas
Monday: smoked chicken and smashed fingerlings
Wed: Tacos/ taco salad
Thurs: chili blanco

And since I know most of you only check in once a week when you are planning your menu.

I worked hard on this post: what to do with forwarded emails.  You'll want to forward it to everyone you know. (You'll get the joke when you read it) 

For more great menu ideas, go to org. junkie's MPM.


8 comments:

momstheword said...

Hahaha! I got the joke! I read it when you posted it. I always delete those things. They are like email chain-letters to me. No thank you!

Menu looks yummy. As for the organizing, I find that going without sleep works wonders...if only I could do it!

Noel said...

Since I grocery shop on the weekends, I also had to make my menu plan from Saturday to Friday. It just works better !

Bonnie said...

I really need to figure out a day that works for me. I'm kind of all over the place!

jsprik said...

yum yum yum, that's all i have to say about that!! *forest gump voice* ;)

momstheword said...

Ohmigosh! Hahaha! I read the comment about going off with your husband and then followed the link and got your daughter's blog!

I thought what on earth? Married at that age??? Then, I remember your other comment and realized what happened!!!

Hope you have a great time!

kathy said...

Thanks for the pizza recipe - it seems easy and I'm going to give it a try
I enjoyed looking over your planning ideas. I plan the next weeks menu on Saturday night and shop for groceries early Sunday when everyone is sleeping because I also enjoy that time to stop and have coffee and a pastry somewhere (alone) :)

Mrs. Parunak said...

Yes, you are a genius. I applaud you. It's those little things that seem so obvious once you figure them out, but that somehow don't occur to us initially that make life run so much more smoothly.

Mrs. Santos said...

You crack me up. I always seem to be smiling when I finish reading your blog - thanks. We eat a lot of raw food - and we don't have a garden (yet). I haven't figured out how to menu plan because it all depends on the produce.