Sunday, April 5, 2009

Recipe: Smashed Fingerlings (potatoes)

Fingerling potatoes are really popular at this time of year.  I was able to find a mixed batch of: red, white and PURPLE potatoes.  They need to be washed and placed in a little water to cook until soft (20 minutes or so)


In a separate pan, saute onions and garlic in real butter, just until softened.  


Put the cooked potatoes in the onion/ butter mixture adding a little milk as needed.  Add salt and pepper to your liking.  Lightly mash.  You want to still feel the texture of of the potatoes, so I give them a half-mashing.
The purple potatoes really make this dish pretty and colorful.


Smashed Fingerlings sounds a little too much like smashed fingers, which does not sound delicious.  You'll have to try them.. might be good with Ham for a nice Easter dinner.

3 comments:

Ruby said...

Yum! Potatoes are great aren't they? So many different ways to do them and everyone loves them. I guess if smashed fingers sounds gross you could call them Smashed Pota "Toes"!
Ruby

Anonymous said...

I must have a sick sense of humor, because I giggled when I saw the name of this dish.

Cheryl R

cherylslife67@charter.net

Mrs. Parunak said...

That looks really yummy. Potatoes are definitely on my list of very most favorite foods.