Thursday, April 16, 2009

Vacation blitz-it Friday #5: pilates reformer with trainer

Grab My Blog Button!

Hey! It's time to blitz-it again. For those of you who are just blitzing for the first time, here are some great starting points.
Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Originally, I wrote about the one hour blitz and staying focused.

You can choose any length of time to work and any type of chores to work on. Not everyone has the physical stamina to "stay in the air" for an entire hour. Not to worry. You can make it a 10 minute blitz, every day for a week. (Hey that's 70 minutes!)
------------------------------------------
My blitz for the week was something special.  I had a chance to take a personal training pilates session on the reformer machine.  Both Will and I did this together, courtesy of my great friend and trainer, Emily Condensa.  She was a fellow pilates teacher with me in Rockford and got me started teaching pilates.  Now she happened to move to Atlanta, so we are reconnecting during the visit!  Yeah!!   The pictures below are courtesy of pilates.com (where I got my training--Balanced Body University)  



So what IS a REFORMER? 

Well, a reformer is a machine that assists with resistance the strengthening of the body with the guided aid of a trainer.  It has springs, pulls, foot straps, headrests.. just about everything for specific issues.  It is often used in conjunction with rehabilitation, but it can be specified for any level of fitness.  

How is it different from a regular pilates class?

It's totally different.  In fact, it's so different that I did not "get it" and was a high maintenance customer (big surprise).  Will, on the other hand, who is a great listener and not such an over-achiever did everything perfectly, once they figured out how to get his 6'2"+ frame on the machine.   I had my ribs up or my legs overly turned out or something weird at any given time.  Finally, Emily said, "Will, I wish you lived here.  It would be great for the other guys to see a man doing this!"  Good for him.  He's good at everything.  

Not me.  I try really hard at everything, and then I'm usually average.  LOL.  When I do "get" whatever it is, I feel pretty happy about it, since I have to work hard for everything.  

So, working on a pilates reformer takes a lot of concentration and focus, so I'm counting it as a blitz.  It's not quite the same as cleaning up the hotel room or something productive.  

So, what sort of blitzing did you hard-working overachievers do? Tell me that your home is sparkling! Tell me that procrastination is being chased away by your eternal optimism and domestic blissdom-ness as well as a little blitzing-motivator!!  Tell me you tried something new and focused on something great for an hour. 

Let's link up!

2 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Well, O.M., I've been really sick with a Nazi cold this week, and have been letting my children watch old Moody Bible adventure videos by the hour while I languished. Today, I am attempting to go back to the gym for my hour-long workout. I think I may be counting that for my blitz, too.

Blue Castle said...

This sounds like an interesting Blitz. I've never tried Pilates, let alone tried the Pilates machines. Very interesting. :)