Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We got here!!!

Reporting in from Ellenwood, GA.  We are staying with friends that we met three years ago during a work-related conference.  

I know you'll be insanely disappointed that I didn't throw anyone into a math tither by asking for 2/3 of anything. But, for my high brow readers, I know you'll rejoice to know that I precisely  completed 1/16 of a new knitting thingy.  And I started correcting one of my student's novels (finished apx. 1/12) And I ended up sleeping for about 1/6 of the trip.  And I drove for another 1/6.  

While we were almost here, my eloquent husband started trying out his Georgia-drawl on the fam.  Somehow, I do not think we'll be able to fake it. Accents are not willy nilly.  They are very specific.  They could probably tell that we are not from Kentucky or Nashville or Georgia, even though it would be so fun to talk like that for a day. 

 They will undoubtedly discern that we are from the Land of Lincoln or something north of the Mason-Dixon line.  And then they'll say sweetly, "Sugar, you aint from here.."  

Which reminds me of a funny story.  I have a friend who is a southern belle who married a military man.  Her husband, Rob was a pilot with Will back in our Air Force Days up in upper Michigan  (yoopers).  Rob's wife, Jane, took a teaching job in the local community off the base.  After a while, she realized that nobody understood her, so she tried to modify her speech so they could understand her.  Finally, after a few failed attempts to northernize her accent, the kids finally asked her,

Mrs. Hyde, are you from England?  

No why?

We were just wondering why you talk so funny.  
------------------

Talking funny.... live from Georgia, y'all. 

7 comments:

Ruby said...

Hi
I am still to catch up on reading here but wanted to let you know you've won an award over at my blog!
Ruby

Kathryn said...

You are funny! Hope you have fun.

I am 15/32 done with a knitting project (baby blanket), at least as far as how much yarn i bought. But i'm also realizing that the amount of yarn i bought isn't enough. If i add 2 more skeins to the 4 i bought, how much have i completed? LOL

I am from the South, TN & KY, but lost my accent long ago tho it returns quick enough when i go back. What is funny is my So Cal husband - who had NEVER visited the South - developed an accent when we visited last time. (When in Rome . . . ?) I had to tell him people would think he was making fun of them, 'cause it just didn't come across right. Many people trying out a Southern accent talk too fast when doing it.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'm a terrible one for picking up accents. They just sort of stick without my trying. After just one afternoon of hanging out with my friend from Norfolk, VA, a stranger asked me if I was from somewhere on the east coast.

Hope your trip continues to be fun.

Anonymous said...

Holy Wah! You actually drove 1/6 of the way???? I am impressed. Please give the Atlanta folks an opportunity to talk to a REAl Yankee. They will love it. Do not make fun of the term "Northern War of Aggression", because it is still real to the folks. Behave and make your mother proud!
Mom

Shanna said...

Oh my word! I love your new look! Have I been out of it that long?! Like Kathryn said, 'You are funny!' I'm glad you made it alright. Take care!

Organizing Mommy said...

O.K. folks I did not offend anyone!! Of course, I was too sleepy to think of any other accent that my northern rising (as the accent detector reads) Mom, I did not mention any wars. Ruby thanks for the award, I'll be over to check it out. Kathryn, I have a friend whose husband did the same thing. She's from the south, and he's from the north, and you'd think it was the other way around. Funny.

The folks really are so nice here!!

CocoJ126 said...

Ha! I have lived in GA for 23 years now. And jumped around in the south the 7 years prior. When I moved to GA the people at church loved to listen to me talk because I had such a "Tennessee twang". And now that I've been in Metro Atlanta for 23 years...when we visit family in West TN they do sound twangy. Yes all areas (not just the south as a whole) have their own sound.

Welcome to Georgia.
Corrie