Friday, May 22, 2009

blitz-It Friday # 10: the garage!

Grab My Blog Button!

Hey! It's time to blitz-it again. For those of you who are just blitzing for the first time, here are some great starting points.
Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Originally, I wrote about the one hour blitz and staying focused.
-------------------------

This week is our first official week of vacation.  We finished off the summer schedule with music, school, and extra curricular activities. I finished planting the garden seeds, and  I even got my grades done! Whew! But now I have to deal with my messy house.  

The weather has been beautiful this week so it was a great time to go through the garage.


The first goal was to "clear a path" through the garage.  This was done in a one blitz session with Hudson.  I do not have a before picture of that, but this is what it looked like afterwards. 

Basically, I am going to tell you that organizing a big space takes many many sessions.  Sometimes it is hard to get going on a huge project like the garage for fear that it is too big.  That is why I developed the blitz, so we can feel like we've accomplished something in an hour, without getting overwhelmed.

So, my next goal was to set up recycling containers so they are easily accessible.  In order to do that, I moved the gym mats to the center of the garage and set up recycling on top/ side of them. So, those were set up in the blitz for this week, as well as: 


going through the many grain buckets and figuring out which were empty and full and getting them in a more accessible location.  The black container is part of the recycling endeavor.  

My next goal is to go through all of those many gray boxes and check and see if their contents are really worth saving!  After all, it's nice to have little gray containers but what good is it, if you are just saving JUNK?  And what seemed to be precious one year is often deemed "junk" by the next year.  LOL. 

So, I hope you have enjoyed your weekly blitzing! I love it when you guys tell me what you've been doing!
----------------------



5 comments:

Denise said...

I don't have anything to post about this week, but I'm hoping to be blitzing up a storm this coming week.

Your garage looks GREAT!

Contemplative Mom said...

The garage is such a huge challenge. Thank you for sharing how you break down a large project so that no one gets overwhelmed!

Ruby said...

Have you ever seen the 70s British sitcom Steptoe and Son? Secondhand dealers I think they were. Well, my hubby's garage space, under our high house, is like that. Not only would I be fearful to even tread there, it is forbidden!!!!
Ruby

He is a back yard machanic.

Organizing Mommy said...

Denise, don't feel bad!! Some weeks are like that, aren't they?

Contemplative Mom, I think it's the only way I could handle a large project is knowing that I only have to do it for an hour a day. It's physically exhausting to be out there trying to make sense out of chaos.

Ruby, I'm ROFL over Steptoe and Son! No, I haven't seen it, but there was a comedy like it here: Sanford and Son, which all of our American readers could relate. Ah yes, the backyard mechanic types.. and he probably knows where everything is.

Ruby said...

You nailed it!