Thursday, May 7, 2009

Blitz-It Friday # 8 blitzing with the kids.

Grab My Blog Button!

Hey! It's time to blitz-it again. For those of you who are just blitzing for the first time, here are some great starting points.
Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Originally, I wrote about the one hour blitz and staying focused.

This week I thought I would switch things up a bit and teach you the tried and true techniques of blitzing with the kids.  First of all, we're going to have to change our thinking a tad and lower our time limit a bunch.  Blitzing as a family only takes 20 minutes.  It could take longer, but I think it is a good place to start.  

Now, Moms!  Listen up! You are going to be "armchair general" O.K.?  Someone has to be in charge and supervising.  That would be you.  

O.K. Kids!  Someone has got to the do the work.  That would be you.  

So, let's examine this idea.  If Mom is focused and working hard, she really isn't supervising the kids for that length of time.  If Mom is supervising the kids, she really isn't focused on the housework (too much).  When you are teaching your kids about working hard, you may need to do more supervising than working.  

I don't know about you, but my kids will get away with the minimum, if I let them.  They'll drag their feet, slough around, blob out on me unless I am pushing, pushing pushing them.  If you have given birth to  highly productive self-motivators, don't tell me, OK?  I'll have to hate you then, and I'm not up for those emotions.  

So, my family blitz starts with the ringing of a bell. We do not start until everyone has shown up.  The last one to show up gets the last (and worst) assignment.  With five kids working, I am looking for signs of efficiency and productivity or lack thereof.  I'll often shout "faster, faster, faster!!" at someone if they are going too slowly.  One time, someone developed a BAD.. and I mean BAD attitude and I  kept adding time in 20 minute increments to his blitz.  So, everyone else got off, and Mr. Lazybutt had to keep going.  As you can probably tell from my less than subtle overtures that I DO NOT DO LAZY.!!!!!!!!!.. she said sweetly.  

The good thing is that once you get over the attitude thing, you really can have an efficient working team on your side.  That is a beautiful thing.  

So.. what did our family blitz do this week?

We were coming home from prayer meeting and I announced we were going to do a 10 minute blitz.  (just ten minutes!)

So, Joanna helped Emily pick up her toys and arrange them.
Jamie and Hudson carried stuff downstairs and got the vacuum out.
Nathanael did dishes.
Hud vacuumed.
Jamie did more kitchen stuff.
I re-vacummed.
Than put the vacuum away.
More kids did more kitchen stuff...

And then we had it done: livingroom and kitchen cleaned up (looking decent) in 10 minutes!
---------
So, let's link up and show off 'yer stuff
----------------------

5 comments:

Emily said...

That's hilariously efficient.:-) Your system sounds great. Ours isn't quite as dramatic....but we do have "room-to-room clean-ups" about once a day, often after dinner.

Blue Castle said...

Oh yeah, bad attitudes get just more work or whatever they're upset about added on. :) You're my kind of mom. Great blitzing ideas. I've only got 2 kids and when we get going we can get a lot done, 5 kids would be awesome.

Contemplative Mom said...

Oooo! I love the idea of just supervising. My kiddos are a little too young for this yet, but they do seem to work well with me. When I move fast, they get excited and move fast too (though maybe they are not always productive in their speed).

Mrs. Parunak said...

Ah, yes, the voice of experience. Clearly, you didn't make up those five kids you talk about.

QueenTimely said...

You are awesome, but much too scary for me! Organising, pilates, 5 kids, homeschooling? Are you kidding? OMG I'm tired just reading your blog. But seriously, what about us normal women? Or even those of us stuck in a rut?