Thursday, May 14, 2009

Blitz-It Friday # 9

Grab My Blog Button!

Hey! It's time to blitz-it again. For those of you who are just blitzing for the first time, here are some great starting points.
Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Originally, I wrote about the one hour blitz and staying focused. 

So, this weekend we tilled the garden plot.  Here is Jo helping.

Hey, this machine is fun!


So, for my blitzes this week, I did one hour planting sessions.  Basically, I did one on Sunday, one on Monday, and two today.  I can hardly believe it that I am only about half done with the garden.  This thing is HUGE!  What was I thinking???

Even though I had already tilled, I had to loosen up the soil, put the compost in, and add some peat moss and then plant the seeds or the plants.  Today I planted: lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, asparagas, beans, melons, and onions.  Before we planted: pumpkins, corn,  watermelon, eggplant, carrots, and cilantro.  

Am I insane or what??  I'm getting overwhelmed just thinking about this huge thing.  But I am very excited about it too.  I am a totally NEW gardener, so I've been watching a lot of gardening videos by Ed Bruske:  Gardening   and Composting.  It is very easy to learn from this guy!  I even emailed him and asked questions and he answered back.  I feel like I've met a celebrity.  If the truth be known, I had to have a hat just like his, AND a fork spade too.  NOW, I feel like a real gardener. 

Also, we did a huge blitz as a family today, since school is officially OVER!!  Wooot de Doot!

Kids blitzing chores:
Jamie: vacuum steps/ landing, loading DW, clean room, 
Jo: clean room, put away dishes, clean bathroom #1
Hud: clean room, carry compost to garden, wash floor in bathrooms and kitchen, handwash
Than: clean room, put away laundry, clean bathroom #2, after meal help
Emily: go to nursery with Mommy and pick out plants, help water the garden, put away toys, 
---
So, I hope you have enjoyed your weekly blitzing!  I love it when you guys tell me what you've been doing!
----------------------


4 comments:

MommaMindy said...

My all-time favorite gardening book is the Joy of Gardening - it features wide row gardening. There are a LOT of pics so it is easy to use. Your ambition makes me tired. Think I'll take a nap. :)

Organizing Mommy said...

I think everyone is taking a nap this week! Maybe I'll go join them!

Contemplative Mom said...

Wow! Your garden is off to a great start. We have never lived in a place where I could start my own garden, but I remember countless days as a kid spent weeding and picking beans.

Great work. I'm looking forward to watching your garden grow!

Krista said...

Wow, I AM jealous of your farm land! I had to laugh at your comments about GAZE... :) I remember some of my first experiences with "southern-ese"! Somebody actually said to a group of us, "All y'all get on the car, we're goin' to the Walmart." I said...What?!! :) It does take awhile, but you get the hang of understanding.

Now my problem is helping my son retain his "northern" speech. I caught him the other day asking about my Kitchen Aid mixer and saying "Mom, I want to use the maxer." It took me a minute to figure out what he wanted!

Not sure yet, but I may be coming that way in late summer/early fall...I'll let you know for sure--it would be fun to get together!