We had beautiful weather here this Memorial Day, and it was a great time to do a little outside work, as well as some fun. This week I got the seeds in the ground, and I am doing a HUGE garden. So, we need to fend off the critters with... chicken wire!!
My dear sweetheart set up a work crew and the kids got the chicken wire around the back fence that keeps the cows out of our yard (some of the time) and separates our neighbors property from ours!
They also put up a compost bin! Yeah, I am an Official organic gardener now that I have a compost bin!!
You really "gave 'er" as they say up north.
Speaking of gardening, I think I am a watering fanatic. Every day I'm out there watering like a mad woman. Well! We haven't had rain, what is a girl to do? I'm too insecure NOT to let these things come up. My whole self esteem rests on this, you know!! (Why do I have to be so type A about EVERYTHING???) Do you ever get exhausted from just being with yourself? Well, I do.
Hardly a day goes by and I'm not teased, really teased by my teenagers about all of this "going green fanaticism" I think I have accomplished everything on my list.
This was my original list...
1. I'd like to find out where you can drop-off recyclables in the Rockford area.
found it--Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful/ Open on Saturdays only 9-12
2. I need to set up a schedule of when and how often I plan to go.
once a month!
3. I need to set up a system in my garage for collecting things that is user-friendly.
Done! I cleaned the garage and set up containers.
Other things I'd like to do:
1. Make some cloth napkins and use those regularly.
Not yet, this will be fun!
2. Use and bring my own cloth shopping bags to the grocery store.
Did it! Although I often forget them in the car!! So, were about 50/50 with this.
3. Bring a pyrex container in my purse when I go to restaurants, so I don't need to use styrofoam for leftovers.
Haven't been out to eat yet!
4. Make my husband lunch, so he doesn't need to eat out as much.
Sometimes I make it; other times he does.
5. Join freecycle and list a few items.
yes, I have given away five items already
6. Read about composting--not sure how to do this and if it is feasible.
I not only read about it; I have a bin already!
7. List things on Craig's list before they get too old.
I sold one thing on ebay. The rest I am giving away.
Oh, and I didn't get this motivation from some sort of internal force. Keeper of the Home wrote a great ebook called: Healthy Homemaking. So, I think I'm on my second chapter now. If I have a gardening update, it will be on tackle it tuesday each week.
For more tackles: 5 Minutes for Mom Tackle it Tuesday.