Sunday, May 3, 2009

We're almost there..

and
MomsTheWord
Just like the great runners and horse racers out there, the homeschool moms are in their final stretch for the season.  I don't know about you, but I feel... exhausted.  My dear husband asked me, are you depressed?  To which I thought: maybe I am.  Then again, let me take a nap and then I'll answer.  O.K.  I don't feel like jumping the cliff, unless it is a small cliff that opens up into a luscious valley of verdant things with a swimming area at the bottom.  

No, I think I just need a change of pace.  Less activities. more fresh air.  the basics.  

So, this is what has helped me (today at least!)

Took a big nap after lunch, which is after chapel.

Made a big spinach smoothie and ate it.

Went for a nice walk around the block with my sweet husband.

Took a bath and got in my jammies.

Planned the menu for the week and made a list of what needs to be done--tomorrow.

and guess what?  I'm not even going to worry about it until then!

Menu plan:

Monday: chicken lasagna and fumi salad (leftover from last week)
Tuesday: Sweet and sour pork, brown rice
Thursday: brisket
Friday: chicken pot pie

For more menus: organizing junkie MPM
for more make your home sing: moms the word

Also, for those who read my post on: the challenge of going green
I have gotten a lot accomplished on that front in just one day.

1) I was able to sign up on freecycle.  It is a service that has chapters in different places.  I hooked up to the Rockford freecycle, and I love it.  I listed about 6 items to give away, and I've already had one thing picked up, and the others are heading out the door soon!  Yeah!  Freecycle is where you give away or get free things.  Obviously, I am not an expert on this, since I have a total of 2.5 days experience at the time of this writing.  

2) I was able to find my local recycling drop off center.  For those of you who are in Rockford, there is the Keep Illinois Beautiful campaign.  It is in Love's Park and open for drop off from 9-12 on Saturdays only.  I haven't called to confirm the details, but it seems like they will take almost anything that can be recycled.

3) I was able to call JULIE, that service that tells you where you can dig for a garden or any type of digging.  Actually, I didn't call, I emailed.  For those in Illinois, we are supposed to call before we dig. 

Enjoy your Monday!

8 comments:

momstheword said...

oh yes, I am looking forward to a break! I'm sure my son is too! It will be nice to just have some extra time around here.

I am going to check out your black bean and rice recipe! I would like another one to add.

Thank you for joining us today!

Kristin said...

I have a love/hate relationship with our local freecycle. Several members have blackberries and therefore answer the quickest and usually are the only ones over and over able to make any deals. I found that I have to turn off emails unless I'm in the mood for it.

But it is also a great thing!

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

I need organization skills! I will be back to peruse your site (and hopefully I will get moving in that department!)

thequeenmommy said...

I think exhaustion and depression look a lot alike!!! A nap can change SO MUCH! Here's hoping more naps for you! I'm going to check out your smoothie recipe, too!!!
LOVE YOUR SITE!

Erin said...

Queen Mommy said it first, but I agree...exhaustion and depression can look the same...we need to remember to care for ourselves so we can care for our families.

As for homeschooling...we made the decision to switch to year round schooling rather than making our days so crammed that we weren't enjoying them (fingers-crossed that it works for us!).

How is the green smoothie working for you?

Freecycle was a blessing for getting rid of stuff for us.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'm on a year round homeschooling schedule, too, and I love how much pressure it relieves. Of course, that's not really possible if you're in a co=op. For that naps may be your only option.

Jo-snazz said...

We were on a year round schedule until our oldest hit fifth or sixth grade. Life was relaxing back then. Now, we just plow ahead, plugging our noses on the way. I'm so thankful for the accountability. At the rate I teach, we'd be done in 15.6 years or so...

Organizing Mommy said...

I'm going insane. EVerytime I leave the computer, Jo gets on, and then i make a comment with their account. That last one was me. ugh.