Sunday, May 31, 2009

What's making my home sing this week??

MomsTheWord
Click on the button for more: make your home sing!

I'm sooo excited to be off the school schedule and on to the summer schedule.  

Lately, I've been thinking about this post: the principles of organizing and I've been wondering if I am really following my own advice.  

I have a lovely space downstairs.  Here are some pictures. 
These were all the "after" pictures of a major cleanup session last summer.  It looks different today, but even at it's best, it's still pretty "full".  I told Jo, "this place is pregnant and ready to pop"  to which she graciously said, "What imagery.. kind of graphic?"

There's nothing wrong with this, but it is still not really what I want for that room.  

Tonight I went down to the craft/ play room and made a list:

What is the primary purpose of this room?
1. Sewing/ crafts
2. Storing toys/ playroom
3. Overnight guests (kids)
4. Office Supplies on desk

What things are actually being stored in there?

1. Sewing supplies: machines, fabric, projects etc.
2. Toys: about a ton of them
3. sleeping bags, pillows, etc. from guests that were here last night
4. ironing (exactly 3 big piles) plus iron, ironing board,etc.
5. a desk, a rocking chair, a lot of tables.. (too much furniture)
6. 17 million miscellaneous craft supplies
7. enough office supplies to start a small business
8. a ton of homeschooling books
9. exercise equipment
10. 10 million photographs and scrapbooking supplies

So, my first task was to try to create a vision of how I want the finished space to look.  Even though I'm a creative person, I'm really stifled by visual overload.  I have a hard time getting interested in crafts at all when things are so overwhelming. So, I'm not entirely sure what I want it to look like when I'm done, but I know I want LESS stuff.. a lot less stuff!!

I need to identify the things that are totally dragging me down.

1. Scrapbooking/ photographs: I'm going to say this at the risk of offending 2/3 of my readers.  I hate scrapbooking.  I have saved all of the artwork and pictures and junk for the last 18 years purely out of guilt.  I think I will hire my kids to help me put this to bed once and for all this summer.  I think if my kids and I work on it together, we can crank through this and be done with old photographs.  The new ones are on the computer, so they aren't dragging me down--just the old stuff.

2. Rug hooking project: I have enough dyed wool to carpet the front lawn in a hooked rug.  I need to put this to bed also.  Maybe I'll invite all of my friends over for a "build and design your own rug" and get rid of all of the supplies??

3. Too many toys for one four year old.  Even if we were to adopt an entire orphanage, I don't think we'd run out of things to do around here.  Perhaps we could downsize the toys a little??

So, I'll keep you posted.  I find this challenging enough to make me feel like homemaking is a real job, and yet relaxed enough that "any mom could do this!".. so that is what is making my ole home sing. 





13 comments:

momstheword said...

Awesome post! It really helps to identify what you want in a room doesn't it?

When my mom moved in with us we had to really scale down and I had to part with tons of arts and craft supplies that I had built up over the years (for the kids).

Thank you for joining us today. You did a great job but you forget to post a link back to my blog, and to mention the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme. I would really appreciate it if you could do that, please.

Let me know if you need help doing a link in your post, I'll be happy to show you how.

Ruby said...

I'd (almost) die for that much space! Other than what you can throw out where do you plan to put everything else you mentioned? Do you have a really big house? Storage is my biggest headache.

Dee said...

I think 2/3 of the people who have scrapbooking stuff hate scrapbooking! As a Creative Memories consultant, I love to show people our new slip-in albums that let you QUICKLY organize & enjoy your pictures & memorabilia w/out cutting 1 sheet of paper or using 1 sticker! Check out the CM website for the Picfolio albums - you'll love them!

SixInThe
Northwest
said...

Ditto on the visual overload! That's me to a 't'. We'll be dragging school on for a while this summer as we had too much hiatus time during our regular school year. But when we do break, I too want to tackle our family room/school room. Great idea on identifying what the room is to be used for and then removing everything else. Our homes tend to become catch-alls for everything under the sun, don't they? I'll be anxious to see how to do and what solution you come up with.

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful space to use for storage! I love your idea of making a list to actually see in black and white what your goals are for the space and what you would like to see in it.

I am actually a little relieved to read that you hate scrapbooking! I have tons and tons of supplies but never have the time to do it. I see the piles and piles of memorabilia and photos that I need to scrapbook, and I am so far behind that I just don't do any of it. I have found in the past couple of years that I really enjoy making an occasional gift scrapbook and that I would rather scrapbook my kids' certificates, awards, articles in the newspaper with a few pictures rather than scrapbooking EVERYTHING, know what I mean? I think I will use some time this summer (I'm a teacher, and school's almost out) to get things organized the way I want them and try to get caught up. I do enjoy making pages for my son's cub scout album, though, so I'll continue to do that.

Eli's Lids said...

Awesome room!! We just moved and I have a craft room but haven't been able to really use it yet.

DarcyLee said...

Great post! I hate having too much stuff, too. It just frustrates me because I usually can't find what I need, but I always find the stuff I don't need/want. I'll be back to see what you do with this room. We just finished homeschooling for good as our last daughter graduated from high school this year so I'll be getting rid of alot, too.

Sherry said...

Great post! Definitely need to figure out what to do with my scrapbooking and stamping craft stuff I haven't used it in years.

Ruby said...

Indeed a dungeon is just what I need!
Mince: I think you call ground beef over there.

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

Oh what a great idea! I need to do that with our spare bedroom, which btw doesn't even have a bed in it at the moment. It is my big project for the summer. I need to clean it out and organize what's left. Thanks for the great ideas on how to make that happen!

Katie said...

Ahhh, I would LOVE to have a room like that! So nice!!

Organizing Mommy said...

About the room: It wasn't a room when we moved in. We hired a neighbor to put up walls, and I ended up inheriting the cabinets/ cupboards from my grandparents. It is really a blessing! I hope I did not sound ungrateful. Even a pretty room like that can be an all-purpose junk collecting room in the winter.

I just wanted it to be nice for the summer!

synge lucia said...

Oh yea exactly what a good idea! I have to do this with this extra bed room, that by the way does not have the mattress inside it right now. It's my personal large task for that summer time. I have to thoroughly clean this away as well as arrange what is remaining. Many thanks for that excellent suggestions upon steps to make which occur!

fifa 14 coins
lol boosting