Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Iron sharpens Iron

"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend"Pr. 27:17

The thing about iron is that it is sharp. The two pieces of iron and rubbing against each other in almost a cutting way is not supposed to give a warm fuzzy feeling. But in the end the countenance (or well being) of his friend is better.

I've been thinking about the blessing of a true friendship that I have with some of my friends in the Lord. I don't know how it is with you, but for me, these things HAVE to be there in order to have the type of true friendship that can sharpen me.

1) Transparency: I have to have the freedom to be exactly who I am without feeling like I am going to receive a correction at every turn. It's those little subtle nudges that people give off that say, "stop being that way. You are not supposed to say that/ think that/ etc." But I AM thinking that. And I am BEING that way. Do you want to help me or not? Or would you rather I put on the horse and pony show for you?

2) Transparency: I have to feel like they are also being level with me also. Don't give me platitudes. Don't lie. Don't give me your horse and pony show either. If you don't trust me, then let's at least be real in the surface stuff, OK?

3) in the Word of God: If either of us are taking on a worldly view or just taking on the "acceptable" view on a topic and not using the Scripture as a guide, it's not really iron sharpening iron. We're just having a heated discussion.

4)in the realm of trust: when all is said and done after a "sharpening session", we know that we love each other and respect the differences, each admitting that we are only human and could be wrong.

5) in the context of humility: Despite the emotions displayed in a sharpening session, there always needs to be a sense of humility on all sides. When I feel heated up about something, I have a hard time remembering this aspect. But pride hurts. It hurts everyone. So, let's be nice while we sharpen each other. Take the low position and let them be right. The whole thing is to learn.

--------------------------

You probably have noticed I've been AWOL for a while. Those above thoughts were brought about by the lovely time my WI friend, Kathy M. and I had together while visiting her this past weekend. Whenever we get together, I'm all charged up to study the Word afresh. So, I've been doing a lot of that lately. I hope it sticks!

So, yes, I'm fine. It's hot here, and I need to blitz--- big time blitz, and I'm hot. I don't want to move. Perfect time to use a blitz to get me going.

Speaking of blitzing, I just want to thank those of you who have told me that you really do blitz and use it all the time at home. My mother and I just talked and she said, "honey, I'm going to take a page from your book and tackle-it Thursday.." (so she got a few memes combined.. who cares?) So, we'll be reporting in tonight with the great results... I hope! (My photographer is up in WI, so I don't have photos) I should really learn how to take pictures like she does!

3 comments:

Ruby said...

To have such a friend is a blessing indeed! It great you've had time together.
As we are ahead here on time I posted the last report on my Blitz and will link it if your Blitz post is up before I go away at about 2-30 for the weekend. Otherwise till Monday!

MommaMindy said...

Iron sharpens iron, and sometimes the sparks fly!

May your time of blessing with Kathy continue to spur you on to love and good deeds this week.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Excellent thoughts, especially the humility part. God's really been working on that one in me lately.