Friday, June 12, 2009

The Oh- SO benevolent garage sale...

Garage Sales. Yes, they are fabulous. It is part of the reason why we are able to eat as well as we do--because of what I am not spending on retail purchases. I guess you could call me a garage sale connoisseur. So, I have my opinions on these things.

Most people have garage sales to 1) get rid of things they don't need and 2) make money. These really are the best kind of garage sales. But there are a few people who have the oh-so-benevolent attitude.. "I'm giving away all of this great stuff for the poor people of Rockford because they are not as privileged as I am."...or as dumb.. I might add.

Sure, you spent top dollar (probably on credit) to buy something you thought you needed. Now it is cluttering up your house and you would rather sit in your garage all day and make a few nickels and dimes and sell it rather than have it sit there as a constant reminder of what an impulsive shopper you are. Really! This is not benevolence. You are not the privileged one here.

Meanwhile, I come in and buy: a perfectly good blender for $2.00 (rather than go out and buy one retail). Yes, I had to wait a weeks to find the right one, but the Lord provided. And then I bought a perfectly good toaster for $.75. (under $1.00).

The shoppers of garage sales are always the winners, not the sellers. But people keep selling, and I'm so glad they do. You couldn't pay me $30.00/hr to sit in my garage all day watching people pick through my "junk"!! In the meantime, I come in and buy your stuff for almost nothing. I figure I average making $100.00/ hr while garage sale-ing. Here's my logic. All that I do not spend on retail purchases, specifically on things we need are where the real money is made. I do not even turn around and try to resell things.

Here's everything I bought this weekend at garage sales:
child's sleeping bag $4.00
toys/ carebears $3.00 shoes (free)
cedar chest: $15.00
paper cutter: $2.00
fiesta dishes (complete set) $10.00
several tops/ clothing $7.00
blender: $2.00
toaster: $.75
sewing machine (Janome/ NewHome) $20.00 (hoping to use it for my mission project)
fabric: free
shadow box shelf: $2.00
music stand $1.00 (needed)
stitchery book: $1.00
Can't remember what else! But these were the major items. I could have easily spent all of that and more on just a new blender.

Yes, everyone loves a bargain, but what about the overpriced garage sales? I hit a few of those also. Some people are just ignorant about pricing because they never go to garage sales themselves. Today I saw a toy set with a plastic pig and a plastic farmer encased in plastic [made in China type of stuff] and they wanted $2.00! You've got to be kidding!! So, I just told them.

"Uh.. I don't mean to be rude.. but.... this is way overpriced.."

You should have seen the look they gave me. They said nothing, but if they had said something, it would have been, "Are you quality control or something?!!"

Yes, I hereby proclaim myself as the garage sale quality control officer for the greater Rockford area. There. I think I'll wear a very official looking badge next time I go out. What do you think?






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Saturdays, you can even get an additional 50% off! I bought a TV, two Ravensburger Puzzles (unopened), cake container and a few misc. items half price - not bad for the late bird. ~ Brenda

Mrs. Parunak said...

Score! You are a great garage-saler. I think to be really good at these things you have to be ruthless and good at bargaining. I am neither, so I tend to spend WAY to much at garage sales. I'd be the poor sucker buying the $2.00 farm set. Maybe I'll have to go out with you sometime as your garage sale apprentice.

Organizing Mommy said...

Brenda!! You finally commented!! Tell your daughter hi from her teacher. I still have a few things on my wish list.

Mrs. P, everyone I know who garage-sales with me is never the same after the experience. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. After about five stops, my mother says to me, "Wow. You really take this seriously!" LOL

L2L said...

LOL, ya know that lady was really thinking, do you know how much I spent on that toy and you're not willing to buy it for $2.00.

It blows my mind at the cost of toys and what some parents are willing to pay for something that their child only plays with once or twice and then they try to pawn it off on someone else at at "cheaper price."

Anonymous said...

That WAS rude, and as a seller, I would have told you "if you don't like the price, don't buy. It's not like prices are set in stone. In the future, negotiate or leave." It's that simple.

Organizing Mommy said...

Anonymous, Sorry to be rude. On my blog, I try to be real, and sometimes it reveals my true self, which can be rude. I try to say things in a nice way, even when I have something hard to say. Either way, thanks for telling me. The biggest room in the house is the room for improvement, I guess.

Shanna said...

Funny! When I had my first garage sale, I had NO CLUE how to price things. So, I enlisted two of my really good friends to help me out. Personally, I think I'd rather go to a garage sale than have one. They are tons of work!

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I thought I lost you.