Tuesday, June 9, 2009

recycled craft project


Out of the scrap pile, emerged this:

It was made from an old pair of blue jeans, wool scraps, some fabric from the basement, and beads from the stash.


It's the messenger bag from Cindy Taylor Oates. If you look at the pattern, I made the bag with all of the dots across the flap. I just made up my own design for the flap.
Maybe it's WAY too ambitious to think that high risk girls could put together bags and design the flaps the way they desire.
So here we are with the finished project. I invited some friends over and let them make bags out of our "scraps". They still need to finish their bags before I show them off for you.

I love it when I have "craft-day hair", don't you??? Oh, and "craft-day" house is fab also. LOL

8 comments:

Jo said...

That's so neat. I'm crafty, but not that crafty. :)

Jenny said...

I think it is SO WONDERFUL that you want to share your crafting skills with young women such as those you describe. I guarantee it will make a positive lasting impression on them.

I don't know from the picture how involved the actual bag is, but it's really cute. I'm sure you know there are many ways to take blue jeans and make simple bags.

Have you considered using fusible web to let them cut out designs and just press them on?

Whatever you decide to do, if you are letting the Lord be your guide, it will be great! Blessings!

Organizing Mommy said...

Jenny, I think I will take your suggestion and use fusible web and have some shapes for them to trace and cut out. Also, I think pillows would be a better project than a bag. They could decorate one side of a pillow, and I will probably have to sew the back on for them once the embellishing is done.

Jenny said...

Either way, the girls will enjoy the project. They may be able to sew around a pillow.

Mrs. Santos said...

I love the bag! It's beautiful - makes me want to make one myself. I used to work with high-risk teenage girls a while back. I think if they made a bag like that they might feel like they could make ANYTHING. The more they do themselves the better. I'll be praying for you and your influence in their lives.

Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly [is] great, but the labourers [are] few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. Luke 10:2

Ruby said...

That's a great bag. I reckon they will just glow with being given the opportunity! May the Lord bless your new undertaking.

momstheword said...

What a cute idea! I like the pillow idea too! Yeah, I don't sew so any sewing project would be hard for me. So if they didn't sew either it might be a problem!

Mrs. Parunak said...

That looks very cool. I think being able to make stuff like that would really open up a new world for a lot of those girls.