Monday, July 20, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday: sewing project finished!

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

Remember THIS great piece of fabric?

It's such a great color with a traditional pattern.. who can resist the handkerchief pattern? I love it.

Well, it started to become "something".


With covered buttons..


half-way through..


No, that's not a wide angle lens..

There you have it: a "retro" house dress.. just like in the 1930's? !! Oh, for a bun and a matching apron. I should be holding a loaf of homemade bread, don't you think?

sewing..you gotta love it. You can re-create history in your own backyard.

Pattern was a vintage shirtdress pattern. I got it at a garage sale, probably in the free box. Even if I had the number handy, they probably don't make it anymore. I embellished it with piping and a coordinating belt. I eliminated the elastic--ugh.. my ever-expanding mid-line couldn't take it just now.



McCalls 4769 appears to be a decent shirtdress pattern that can be turned vintage, if you like. This image from a review written on Patternreview.com, which I just signed up for. Neat site for you seamstresses out there.
For more tackles, visit: 5 minutes for mom.

10 comments:

Ruby said...

That shirtmaker style is pretty much timeless. You made a lovely job of it. It's always nice to see the end product.

Jenny said...

Nice work! I'm most impressed with the piping. As I've "matured," I've become less fond of detail work. Kudos!

DarcyLee said...

I love the dress and have been looking for a shirt dress pattern to make one for myself. I have never attempted covered buttons but I think I could try it. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Kari said...

That looks great! You are so talented :)

Organizing Mommy said...

Covered buttons are SO easy, you should try it. I use them for everything. Piping? That's a little harder, but I love the look.
Thanks so much ladies!!

Susie said...

What a gorgeous tackle:-)

momstheword said...

Oh very cute! My mom used to have lots of housedresses. She would just toss it over something to protect her clothes. It just snapped up so quickly!

BTW, yeah, I got over myself at McDonald's too. Just ignored the germs and let the kids play, lol!

Rachel said...

It looks great. The piping must have taken forever but it adds so much to the finished product.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Your dress is so cute! Great job!

Heather said...

Shirtwaist dresses ROCK! I honestly would wear them all the time if I could find them.