Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blitz-It Friday # 23


Welcome to another week of blitzing!! For us, it is the LAST week before school starts. Our oldest, Jamie started his first week at Rock Valley College taking a dual-credit class in pre-calculus. Yeah! Go J!

The weekend concert with the Northern Illinois Youth Orchestra went really well also. It was such a fun experience to have a great group of like-minded Christian young people who enjoy playing music together. I think we will miss the fellowship of it, just as much as the music training. Hint, hint.. we want to do this next year!




Another accomplishment (if you can call it that) was getting the new (used) refrigerator up and running in the house! Yes, it is smaller than our other fridge, but it has a lot less wear and tear than our other one. And for $35.00, I think it was worth the gamble. We were able to rid ourselves of the other one in 24 hours by listing it on freecycle. Yeah!!

Kids are so funny. For the first couple of days after we got the fridge in, Emily kept saying,

"I'm just not used to the brown fridge yet.." every morning when she woke up. Sorry, I forgot the new fridge indoctrination program for highly color- sensitive children...
She kept asking me, "Mommy, why do you like brown refrigerators so much?"

Me: "I only like brown refrigerators when they cost $35.00" LOL...

Weekend Focus:
Rockford Airshow, Gospel Booth at the Winnebago County Fair, Sermon prep for Will, last minute prep for school starting.

Weekend Inspiration: Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint.

Weekend Tasks:

Today we made some spaghetti sauce out of: garlic,

basil,


and tomatoes from the garden:


Yes, I am actually canning tomatoes from my garden. There has to be a first for everything, you know.

Joanna was eager to learn how to do this. I just rinse the tomatoes off, cut off the stems and quarter them. I do not peel them. Pulse in the food processor for a bit and combine everything into a crockpot. So, it's going to simmer for 24 hours to cook down, and then I'll can it.
So the weekend chores are:
1) Canning the spaghetti sauce
2) ironing some shirts
3) ?? (I have a slow weekend planned)

Weekend/ week Food:
Last week's menu hit was Calico Beans. Everyone raved about them, which is a rare thing around here.

Friday: Grilled chicken, grilled veggies, baked potatoes
Saturday: Beans and rice
Sunday: turkey meatballs and spaghetti for lunch and homemade pizza for dinner
Monday: Smoked chicken, pasta, veggies
Tuesday: tacos/ taco salad
Thursday: clean out the fridge soup/ casserole


Weekend Treats:

First, we are all planning on attending the Rockford Airfest weekend. It's a big deal for a family like ours because we have so many kids who like this:


That's right, the F-22 Raptor (photo from Airfest site). When Jamie was just a wee munchkin, he used to go around saying, "My favorite plane is the F-22 Waptor". So, now we'll see and hear it in full explosive energy this weekend.

Now I am still working on the beloved SOCK. As you can see, I don't knit at a roaring speed.



Nor do I quilt at a roaring speed, but we have made some progress. For those of you who do sew, yes, that is freezer paper over the pieces. It's this great thing my mother taught me about sewing curves.
Basically, you trace your pattern on freezer paper, and then iron it on the fabric. You cut around the piece, leaving a 1/4" border around each piece. Then you GLUE (not pin) the pieces together. You sew them after they've been glued on. Pretty cool! The freezer pieces keep the shape true to size. Did you know that fabric temporarily sticks to freezer paper when you iron it on? Me neither. It's the greatest thing, AND the freezer paper can be reused several times!!!
Well, I hope your blitzing for the week is going well. I'd love to hear what you've been up to!

New to blitzing? Here are some links to get you started:

Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Read about the: one hour blitz and staying focused.
Also, blitzing with kids is a blast if you are an airchair general.

Glad you could join us! Now you have MANY choices about using the blitz. You are welcome to do/ try any or all of them.... and so many photos to choose from!


5 comments:

Ruby said...

Wow! You have so much happening over there!
We had friends with a blue fridge. They painted it that way, and it was always a great talking piece.
Blitz away!
My project at the moment is to get that scrap book done for my mum's 80th.
Would you believe since I did the big photo/ scapping blitz I have discovered I am missing a packet of pics (from my school days) Still not allowing myself to believe I have accidentally thrown them out. THEY WILL TURN UP!

Organizing Mommy said...

Ruby,

Now I have guilt! You probably lost them because of me!! Aaaaaaaahhhhhh...... and if I were going to paint the fridge, it would be: bright yellow or baby barf green.. just kidding.

Organizing Mommy said...

Jen, Thanks for participating. I couldn't leave a comment on your blog, so I'll say it here: good job! It really IS a big pile of things that you went through!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Sounds like you're having quite a weekend! Hope you enjoyed the airshow. We always love the one out here.

Jenifer said...

hat is really making me hungry.:) Sounds delicious and I'll be making it early next week. Thank you!


--
Jenifer
You cannot go wrong on the best security systems