Sunday, August 30, 2009

Dropping in.. We just don't do it anymore!

With the end of the summer upon us, I feel wistful, almost nostalgic about the lazy, summer days of my hometown in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Was it the era, the location, or the combination of the two that made it seem so conducive to "drop in" company?

Granted, the U.P., probably like many rural locations across the U.S. and Canada is given to drop in company. People have to travel long distances to get places. There isn't a 7-11 on every street corner, and visiting people along the way was just a part of life.

I have no idea if the many people that "stopped over" called first or just came. All I know is, it was busy, lively, full of activity and food. Lots of food. You always offered guests "a little bite"..

"C'mon, sit down. Have a bite.."

Before you know it, a plate or two of food and beverages would appear out of no where.

Was the house always clean? Well, my Mom was a great housekeeper, even though she worked full time. But I can't even say that is was always "spotless", nor do I ever recall my mother worrying about it one way or the other.

I remember we were "regular drop-in guests" at anyone's home who lived on the lake! We loved to go swimming in the summertime!

It's just not the same anymore, is it? A few weeks ago, I was telling my kids what it was like to have "drop in" guests. They thought it would be so fun also. When did "dropping in" go from being fun to being rude? When did people consider themselves to be inconvenienced by having unexpected guests? Is it a thing that is long gone, like my childhood?

Well, while you contemplate those thoughts, I'd like to tell you the menu.. just in case you want to stop over.. for a bite.

Menu for the Week
Friday: burgers on the grill, homemade fries, green salad
Saturday: Thai fried rice (without the seafood, just chicken)
Sunday: Ritz chicken casserole, pasta (yes, this is fat-pill) and veggies
Tuesday: chicken lasagna/ fumi salad
Wednesday: Southwest chicken and rice
Thurs: Butter chicken, indian rice and lentils OR tomato pie (gooey pizza)


Another Giveaway

I'm making something....


Remember this cool fabric from: Heather ? Yeah. Wouldn't this make a very cool fall bag? Yes, it would. And I already have it cut out. I am making a messenger bag out of these fabrics. To enter this contest, all you have to do: is participate in my Blitz on Fridays. I will choose ONE winner from all of the participants.

How do you participate in a blitz? It's easy. You plan your week/ your weekend or anything you want. If you do not have a blog, you can leave a comment in the comment section, telling me what you did on your blitz. Remember, my blitz is very elaborate. You don't need to do anything that fancy, unless it helps you get organized better.

I do a ton of planning for my week that way. I get sooo much done! It's not about me or even promoting my blog. It's about helping people get organized and enjoy life more. Why are we drowning in our own homes? It's not a good thing. So, it is a little bit of work to think through what you want from your time, so that is why I am offering a cool bag, and I hope to be offering more cool bags as I have time to make them. I look forward to seeing how organized YOU are!
Blitzing, getting organized and motivated is what makes my home sing, also! For more great posts and a fun blog, visit Nan at Moms the Word.

13 comments:

MommaMindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MommaMindy said...

When we moved from the midwest to WA five years ago we were excruciatingly lonely. We met another Christian family and became friends. When we asked them if they were the kind of people that liked "drop-in" company they squirmed and said, "Could you just call please?" If I ever had to drop something off she would never invite me in. It was 1 1/2 years before they invited us to their home. We just never got close. Closed home, closed heart. I'm ALL for drop in!
(couldn't figure out how to edit, so had to delete...oops)

Laura said...

That's a good question about dropping in. I wish more people would drop in on me and ask them to all the time but rarely do they. Of course I rarely do it either so that's probably part of the problem right there LOL.

momstheword said...

We have people drop in occasionally but not as much as we used to. When the kids were younger, people dropped by nearly every day. Not sure why they don't now, unless they're just busier or something.

Sometimes people would drop by and pretty soon others would and before you knew it we would be grilling some burgers and having a bbq!

momstheword said...

OOps, forgot to say thank you for linking up today! I need to do your blitz on the days I'm not doing the other meme. It would be fun!

Ruby said...

Though I live in a small city here in Central Queensland it is a hub for a large rural area. Dropping in is still in and we love it and encourage it. I have noticed in the last, say 10 years, that some people are more touchy about it. I always tell hubby we have to call first if he suggests dropping in as sometimes you do get the feeling it's not appreciated.
I'm not a great house keeper (gasp!)but love company and don't stress over it. Most of my friends are the same. I would say it is mainly busy working mums that don't appreciate spur of the moments visits :-)

Heather said...

Great bag! I'm glad you found a good use for the fabric :) I'll be sure to post about this over at my place.

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

I remember the days of just dropping by. It is sad that we don't do it anymore. Although, I do have a great time when friends come by for a visit. I think I will try to make that more of a priority. Thanks for the encouragement. And I think I'll drop by for that Ritz chicken pasta. Sounds yummy!

Jenny said...

I appreciate a phone call before someone stops by, and I always do the same if I am going to stop by someone else's house.

If, however, someone is outdoors and I pass by, I love to stop and chat, and I don't mind if someone does the same if I'm outside.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Drop in. If I'm busy, I'll tell ya :0)

I grew up on a lake and right across the street from our church, and people dropped in all the time. My mom was the Queen of Hospitality - still is. She was all about making people welcome and comfortable, not necessarily a high style of entertainment. When you don't feel like you need to impress anyone, hospitality comes a lot more easily.

Oh.... I want to drop by for that tomato pie!

Julie

Becca said...

Yum, the ritz chicken casserole sounds good :)

Organizing Mommy said...

O.K. ladies, we need to start a "dropping in" challenge, don't you think?

Mindy, I had the same thing happen when we moved here. In fact, they specifically told us NOT to drop in, since they sensed we were hillbillies.. I mean dropper-in types... Oh well, thankfully, there are other ways to make friends.

Ruby said...

So...you are denying this hillbilly charge??!!