Monday, August 10, 2009

I totally ate that frog--today!

You've heard of that expression: eat that frog?? It was coined by someone who was trying to get us over our procrastination issues.

Well, I have been procrastinating--big time--on ordering school books. I was just plain AFRAID of what the total number might be.

So, today, I armed myself with a cup of coffee and list of phone numbers. I started calling the moms I knew who had kids older than mine to see if I could buy, borrow, rent, steal? any of their school books. And do you know what? I got a ton of books that way. Homeschool moms are so generous, aren't they? I estimate that I saved myself about $500.00 this morning. There were only four things I have to "buy", two are for Jamie's college class.

1) He had to buy a graphing calculator. So, we bought that on ebay. ($99.00 total)
2) He has to buy a code for his math class (another $95.00) This is in place of getting a text book. Those people who sell books are getting smarter on us--we can't buy them used that way!

3)the next two books I was not able to find from friends, but I was able to find them online through a service called: Gettextbooks.com. What a neat resource!! It lists everything by ISBN and divides out the retailers for you. For a half-brained mother, I did O.K. I think I spent around $50.00 for the two of them.

All the books I am getting from friends (renting or buying used) are: Apologia Physics, Econ/ government Abeka, Geometry, Life Science, Lord of the Rings Literature guide, Spanish II, already have Apologia biology and Saxon pre-algebra (for 2)!! So, all of that sweating and worrying was solved by a few phone calls and internet purchases.

Now, I can relax and do some more basement sewing to celebrate, don't you think?
For those of you homeschooling, how do you find good deals on your books?

4 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'm still only teaching littles (approximately Kindergarten, and second grade this year--I don't keep the kids in grades per se), but I have found GREAT simple, wholesome, inexpensive books through Keepers of the Faith. We don't use their stuff for every subject, but I have been very happy with their preschool workbooks (from Rod and Staff), their handwriting books (their own), reading books (also their own), math books (Mott Media's workbooks to accompany the classic Ray's arithmatic), and history (Bob Jones).

Organizing Mommy said...

Mrs. P, what a neat site! We had a similar one called Timberdoodle that I would use when the kids were little. We used those adorable Rod and Staff workbooks and stuff like that. But now the kids are taking classes from other people, I need complicated things like ISBNs and second edition. You'll be proud of me though. I'm thinking about actually teaching pre-algebra this year (to my own kids) since I already have two copies of Saxon, and the teacher is switching the text! Ugh.

MommaMindy said...

We have a used homeschool curriculum store, Homeschool Potpourri, about a mile from our house, in Kirkland, WA. I have hardly had to order books since I began shopping there. You can shop online http://www.hspbooks.com/
or sell your books on consignment if you feel like mailing them. I can shop gradually as I have time.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.