Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sometimes I hit it right..


Most of the time when I go out looking for bargains, I usually can add to my ever-growing pear collection. Yes, just when you almost thought I was normal, now I have to go and confess

my fascination with collecting [cheap] pears... In fact, the average price that I pay for a pear is around $.50, but

I usually get them for about $.25. (yes, that is cents.. 50 and 25 cents) These are just a few that I've collected this year.

And occasionally the pear is so out of sorts that it needs a makeover. So, I have had to go to extreme measures and actually "reupholster" a pear, and give it a TQM (total quality makeover) and make a new sleeve. It's not as easy as it looks. You have to design a pear cover to go over the existing pear form, which could take about 2 minutes. Then you need to squeeze that thing over the pear and hand stitch it down at the top and bottom..


And no, I do not have a tutorial for such things. I have seen a pattern for a pear shape in a quilt shop, which IMHO, was far inferior to this... Oh well, what was I getting at by posting all these pears?

Well, the truth of the matter is this: all of my bargain hunting very rarely "lands" on something that my dear hubby actually likes. I mean really.. He likes pears and all, but they don't affect the quality of his life.

But finally, I landed on these: 2 woven carpets ($2.00 each) that have a very nice color scheme as well as a high level of functionality.

There is one in front of each door. I'm telling you that my sweet hubby has not stopped praising me for this purchase. It's like the best thing I've gotten all year (in his opinion).
The funny thing is that he never once told me "Hey, we need carpets by the doors" or "Be on the look out for .." So, I never knew that that is what he really wanted, and yet, somehow, I landed on it. Just like a falcon going down to catch a mouse, I pounced on those rugs.. who knew??

So, yes bargain hunting is a lot of fun, but getting a great deal for your sweetheart is even better. As a bonus, you get my menu also!

Menu planning, hosted by organizing junkie.

Last week's menu hit was Calico Beans. Everyone raved about them, which is a rare thing around here.
Friday: Grilled chicken, grilled veggies, baked potatoes
Saturday: Beans and rice
Sunday: turkey meatballs and spaghetti for lunch and homemade pizza for dinner
Monday: Smoked chicken, pasta, veggies
Tuesday: tacos/ taco salad
Thursday: clean out the fridge soup/ casserole

Also, getting bargains is what makes my home sing, hosted by Moms the Word.

8 comments:

momstheword said...

I love it when I get some shoes that my youngest likes. He has certain types of shoes he likes and there's no way we're paying that much money for them.

So sometimes I'll find a good pair at the thrift store and his happy smile is my reward!


Maybe once the kids leave home I might get interested in learning how to sew. At least it'll give me something to do, lol!

momstheword said...

Oh, I forgot to thank you for linking up today!

Ruby said...

Well, that pear fetish takes all!
Do you have a display cabinet? I have friends who can't go past candles,frogs and salt and pepper shakers...pears in new!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

bargains are the best!
Collette xxx

CC said...

Wow...how many pairs of pears do you have? Well, you two are certainly a sweet "pair". I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Joyfull said...

I enjoyed seeing the pear collection! I am a bargain hunter also and what a blessing your bargain was! Good price and a great compliment! Thanks for sharing.

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

I love bargain shopping. And getting a bargain that hubby likes is even better! Thanks for sharing your menu with us. I always like to see what works for other families. Hope you have a great week!

Mrs. Parunak said...

I think your pears rule. How fun!