Monday, August 10, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday: garden evaluation

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

Well, it's midway through the gardening season, and it's time for me to sit back and evaluate my current gardening adventure. This is where the rest of you who did not plant a garden have no need to feel guilt. I am going to highlight some of my disasters first.

Corn: Do you see those few spindly little corn stalks there?
That's right. My corn was a flop. I planted about 60 seeds, and I got what?? I'll be lucky if I get one whole ear. There about 10 million corn stalks on all sides of us, you think I could get...like.. 10? or even 5..

Flowers: I have no idea what these are called, but they came up all right--right in the middle of the vegetable patch. I know because I planted those seeds there. Sure enough, that's right where they came up--all pink and willowy. And yes, they are perennials, so they'll come up every year right in the middle of the garden unless I move them.

Broccoli: totally not worth it. I had one plant with a decent looking head on it, and didn't pick it fast enough, so it totally went to seed. I think I'd have to plant 10 million plants to get enough to eat at this rate.

Beans/ sweet peas: these are the total output of several, and I mean several beans planted. I have no idea what happened. My pea pods were a snarl also. So, I got about the same amount of sugar snap peas, which were promptly eaten, so I have no pictures.
Well, on a happier note, my little "perennial garden" outside the fenced vegetable patch is doing very well, probably because there's some sort of gopher living underneath it, fertilizing it with his uh.. stuff.

Beets: The beets did very well, and I am happy because I love beet greens. Note to self: plant more next year and pick them sooner.

Here are some things we harvested: zucchini, picked nice and small like it should be done! High five to the child who noticed one was growing and got it picked before it turned into a zucchini monster. That little bit of broccoli is from my not-so-huge harvest. And the carrots.

The carrots are fabulous, but when I planted the seeds, I tossed them into the ground, hoping for the best. Next year, I'm going all out and planting rows, yup.. rows! They are yummy, even if they are so deformed from growing on top of each other, all squished like.

Lettuce/ mixed greens: these were fabulous, and very easy. I used the Earthbound Farm (free) seeds that they mailed out. I'll use them again, and maybe even pay for their seeds next year.
My tomatoes, peppers, squash and watermelon are still not ready to be harvested yet. I don't think I'll even get ONE pumpkin this year. I love pumpkins, but my seeds were old, and nothing came up! Anyway, I am a very new gardener who is learning some very basic things like: don't use old seeds, one broccoli plant is not going to feed your family, and let the professionals grow corn. Even though only half of what I planted turned out well, I am happy with what did come up. For more tackles, visit 5 minutes for mom.

13 comments:

Kari said...

What do you do with beet greens? Use them like other greens? Saute them? I've never heard of eating them. I usually stick to the beet itself so this is new to me.

DarcyLee said...

Your garden looks better than mine. I'll be lucky to get about 20 cherry tomatoes from my two plants. I'll get no other tomatoes. I had 2 tomatoes growing on my plant and the squirrels got to them before I did. My pepper plants may have a chance. We'll see.

Mrs. Santos said...

You always crack me up :) We planted corn this year and didn't think anything was going to grow. We live about an hour and a half from the beach so one day we brought home some seaweed. We cut it up and just sprinkled it around each teeny corn plant. Within a week or two we had HUGE stalks. Maybe next year a little seaweed?

BarbaraLee said...

Looks like you need some old fashion cow/horse poop with lime. It does wonders.

Organizing Mommy said...

Kari: beet greens are awesome. I cut them up and soak them in some salt water, just to get the bugs out. Then I steam them in a little water. When the water in gone, I add real BUTTER and some salt and finish them off that way.

DarcyLee: Thanks, that's what the farmer's market is for, eh?

Mrs. Santos: Oh sure, seaweed in soooo plentiful in Illinois, you know. My corn seeds were a year old. They froze in the garage over the winter. I'm going all out and buying NEW seeds next year.

BarbaraLee: I think I could easily russle up some cow manure, since we have cows right next door.

Susie said...

Yummy tackle:-)

Andrea McMann said...

I had a very disappointing gardening experience last year. So bad that I didn't do a garden this year. We planted one pumpkin vine which grows those mini pumpkins that are so cute. I think we're going to get two pumpkins, which is just enough so each kid will get one!

We also planted some sunflowers, which the kids love. They're huge!!

I love your pretty flowers, even if they're in the middle of the garden. Do you remember what kind they are??

Mrs. Parunak said...

I didn't pick my broccoli early enough either, and WOW, broccoli flowers sure are pretty. Too bad you can't eat them. I got tons of peas for the first time ever, and lots of beans, but my lettuce barely grew, and I did not get even ONE carrot. I usually get more than we can eat. Go figure.

Organizing Mommy said...

Oh, I think they are called something like: amaryllis? I could be totally off though. They are so pretty. I picked some and put them on the table in a vase, and they lived for 2? days maybe.

Anonymous said...

I think your flowers look like cosmos, and I am pretty sure cosmos is an annual so you might be fine for next year. :)

Anonymous said...

I think your flowers look like cosmos, and I am pretty sure cosmos is an annual so you might be fine for next year. :)

Organizing Mommy said...

thank you again, anonymous. You did again. Cosmos! That's it. I'm such a spazz. Thank you for still reading and keeping me on track, whoever you are, I love you.

Julie said...

We cut it up and just sprinkled it around each teeny corn plant.
___________________
Julie

We do your Marketing for best sales