Thursday, October 22, 2009

Blitz-It Friday # 28 (and organizing drawers)

The Organizing Junkie is having her monthly round-up, and I am showing the drawers that I organized from the dining room. Keep in mind that I did this in a BLITZing kind of way.
Today I am showing the progress from one short blitz: organizing some drawers in the dining room.

Before: Everything shoved into the bottom drawer

After: All the fall tablecloths and cloth napkins--ready to go!
BEFORE: all of the paper plates, overflow utensils and tea..
AFTER: Utensils sorted, plates ready.. tea sorted and ready to brew..
See? this really is an organizing blog. And I didn't die from organizing a few drawers. I actually got an adrenaline rush just thinking about it.

How did I incorporate the PROCESS?

P: Plan of attack: The basic plan for these drawers is that the items in them are things used in the dining room.

R: Remove items: There were some toys, old tea, and out-of-season things that needed to be removed.

O: Organize into piles: Even though I had my entire dining room table filled, they eventually got into piles.

C: Containerize: The deep wide drawers themselves make good boundaries. The silverwear bin was also a good container for overflow silverwear. I also had a metal container for tea.

S: Simplify: I threw out a bunch of old tea that no one was using. I also removed all of the teaching placemats from the area. We can use those during other times--not for eating, though!

S: Smile! It's not just me who is smiling!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of this post is from one of my weekly blitzing memes. You can join us this Friday for a blitz, but do not LINK up here (now)... thanks!

Basically, I am including it because it will give you an idea of what blitzing is like! I do not want to detract from the link-up that is happening on the organizing junkie!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


But truthfully, I did not organize those today. I did blitz today, however.

I woke up tired. Do you ever do that? Uffda. I wasn't feeling that great and wanted to go for a nap. I put dinner in the crockpot, just in case I really was sick. But I needed to blitz. And today is laundry day. So, I reluctantly set my timer for 1 hour.

I started by taking the sheets off the bed--just so I would not get back in it. I started the wash load, adding a few other things in with it.

I sorted all the laundry and put them in little laundry baskets in the hall--just so my room would look neat.

Then, I put away any clutter and clean laundry.

By then, there was still 27 minutes left...

So, I cleaned the bathroom already.

I set up the ironing board and actually decided on what to iron..

I helped Emily put away her toys.

I put the sheets in the dryer and the next load in.

All of that in one hour. And wouldn't you know it? By then, I was so energized that I did not even want to take a nap. Instead, I called a friend and talked on the phone while I ironed: 8 things. Then I started making a few more hats! Then I started folding and putting away laundry. And I never did take a nap! Oh, well.. there's always tomorrow to be lazy.. So, how about you? Are you blitzing anything these days?
..
If you are new to blitzing, here are some other links on the topic:

Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Read about the: one hour blitz and staying focused.

Also, blitzing with kids is a blast if you are an airchair general.

Glad you could join us! Now you have MANY choices about using the blitz. You are welcome to do/ try any or all of them.... and so many photos to choose from!

And for you guys who like to move slowly, try plodding.


5 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm tackling a catch up day for my blitz today. You can check my to do list and progress at http://findingmywayathome.blogspot.com/2009/10/blitz-it-friday-trying-to-catch-up.html

I enjoy our site and the inspiration you give me to get and keep things under control. THanks!

kristilea said...

The drawers look great! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you know that you now have yet another space that is clean and orderly, and you can open it up and go right to want you want?

I thought about doing a first-time blitz post, but really my whole day today is a blitz. I can't just focus on one thing. I am moving by boys into a different room, and moving my youngest daughter into her very own room. I'ts quite the task. It will take me all day tomorrow too. My husband decided he was for sure going hunting again when I mentioned my plans for Friday and Saturday!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

My boys were gone for the day, having a PTO day, while I "puttered" and got ready for company - family friends visiting from Brazil, with their five kids. Fun :0)

I'll have to get back on the blitzing wagon next Friday,

Julie

Contemplative Mom said...

Your drawers look terrific. And your blitz does sound energizing. I always feel great when I get so much done. I didn't get a chance to last week, but I need to make sure to blitz this week.

Linda said...

Wow! You are an inspiration!! My whole house is worse than your before photos!! So glad you shared... you've inspired me to start! :)