Thursday, October 29, 2009

Blitz-It Friday # 29



Today was a big canning day. I have already made pumpkin butter once this year, and it was such a smash that everyone wants MORE... So, I've been blitzing little sections of my life around pumpkin butter making. (smash pumpkins.. sounds like I'm getting ready for that holiday)

Every so often I wonder: is it really cheaper to buy and cook up the pumpkins myself?
Well, they ARE cheap this time of year, AND sometimes even free, if you can get someone to grow them for you because all of your seeds went kerflop this year. Ahem..


Just incase you ever wanted to know how to cook up a bunch of pumpkins, I have a picture for you. In the 40 quart roaster, I have four pumpkins cut up with the seeds scooped out and skin still on. I added about a quart of water and let them cook on HIGH (450*) for about 2 hours.



After the pumpkin slices cool down enough to touch, I scrape the flesh into the food processor and puree it and return it to the roaster. I had 24 cups of pureed pumpkin when I was done.

Since two of the pumpkins were donated to my cause, I only had to buy 2 pumpkins. (yeah!)

And this is perfect for making PUMPKIN BUTTER, which is like a spreadable pumpkin pie for toast, rolls or other forms of baking.

As you can see, we have plenty of it! And I remember seeing pumpkin butter on sale for $7.00 a jar. So, I don't think I spent a lot more than $7.00 on my ingredients... so yes, it is cheaper to make your own.

What else? It is starting to cool down here, but not enough to deter the kids from wanting to play outside. Have I shared with you my time management with preschoolers idea? Basically, you have to take breaks and spend time with your children, even when you have a TON of things to do.



Life is too short not to wear a red hat, you know?

And stop and look at the cows.

Or light a campfire to burn leaves..

I wish I owned these cows. We should, you know. They come to the fence whenever we are out, even if we are burning leaves. They love us.

I feed these cows too. They love my stuff. It doesn't seem right to live so close to the cattle and not own them. Where is the justice? Where's the beef? Where's my business sense? I ought to be out there trying to convince them to switch to our field. I ought to be out there offering them a better pasture or something. No, instead they just look at my field, and I at them... and we eat moose instead.



Anyway, does anybody want to blitz with me this week? I confess, this blitz was a plodding kind of blitz, but it worked for this week.
-------------------------------------------
If you are new to blitzing, here are some other links on the topic:

Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Read about the: one hour blitz and staying focused.

Also, blitzing with kids is a blast if you are an airchair general.

Glad you could join us! Now you have MANY choices about using the blitz. You are welcome to do/ try any or all of them.... and so many photos to choose from!

And for you guys who like to move slowly, try plodding.



10 comments:

Ruby said...

Hi!
Yes, I am pleased to say I Blitzed our school work area. Turfed out years of stored stuff and sorted a heap of books.
That is a lot of Pumpkin Butter! But it looks delicious.
Have a good weekend.

Kathryn said...

Would you be able to eat those cows after being friends with them? Just curious, this is something i've been wondering about recently. Someone i read has a steer that is like a dog - wanting attention all the time. I don't think i'd ever be able to eat a former friend.

Sorry if this is out of line . . . on my tired mind.

Kathryn said...

P.S. Your pumpkin butter looks marvelous! I've only just had it recently for the first time. It tastes wonderful. What do you use it on? I'm going to try cooking down a couple of pumpkins.

Dawn at Finding My Way at Home said...

I'm ejoying Blitz It Friday - it's helping me tackle a few things that I really have been meaning to - the Friday posting deadline helps a lot.

I like the red hats - unfortunately my family would take a big pass at the pumpkin butter....too bad as it looks good to me!

Contemplative Mom said...

Ooo! Your pumpkin looks so good. I need to do that soon. They don't sell canned pumpkin here in Scotland, so if I was pie this thanksgiving, I get to do it myself! Thanks for showing me how. Do you have to use a specific type of pumpkin?

Organizing Mommy said...

Ruby: Can't wait to go over and see what you are doing!

Kathryn: I have NO idea if I could eat them after owning them. Haven't thought about it. As for now, we get very little beef--just moose. The moose my dad hunts are so huge--there's enough to share!

Christy: I use PIE pumpkins. They are smaller than the regular ones. I am not sure you will find them over there, unless people plan to eat them. Hope you can find them!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh darn... I didn't get to blitz today. But the boys and I had a curl-up-in-the-living-room-with-a-book day.

They're all tucked into bed, with a 7:40am "call time" for the first soccer game tomorrow.

And it's cold. And windy. And raining.

And if I think of anything else to whine about, you'll be the first to know!

Julie

MommaMindy said...

A question about the pumpkin. I love making pumpkin muffins, but canned pumpkin has gone up in price and the cans have less in them. Could I follow your steps with the pumpkin and then just freeze it in the quantities I need to use in baking?
PS package in the mail.....think green.....since I am from the state notorious for being green

Organizing Mommy said...

Mindy: I am going to answer your question here, since there may be others who are wondering.

You can freeze the pumpkin also-works great. Cook it and run it through the food processor, and put it in freezer bags. I have heard that you shouldn't can the pumpkin yourself, but the pumpkin butter has a lot of sugar, so it's more like a jam.

Can't wait for the GREEN item to arrive.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Your pumpkin butter looks fabulous, and your cows look so fun! How neat to live near such neat animals like that.