Friday, October 23, 2009

Going Scottish on a budget: frugal fashionista

You may or may not have noticed that we are going "Scottish" around here. I'm not even sure why. I just woke up one day in Scotland, I guess.

So, I've been finding plaids and designing hats to fill the "need" of being Scottish. Emily's hat was from a recycled skirt, a pair of jeans. How much did they cost? Well, I am not sure. You see, I was at this fill a bag for $1.00 sale, and I shoved all of the things I could fit into three bags. In the end, one of the bags was free. So, I am guessing $.10?? The material I used for this hat was also from the bag:
I even make our house-guests wear my homemade hats. Really, it's getting out of control around here... (Yes, the material for Bear's hat was from that same bag sale)
Emily's hat is also from the scraps from the sale. The hat I'm wearing is from my Mom. She says that I bought it for her. (I have no recollection of this) I made the scarf thingy, and the sweater? found in the lost and found at Gwinn High School back when my Dad was teaching (12? years ago)..
Jacket from garage sale from a few years ago ($2.00?), skirt from aforementioned bag sale, scarf: ditto, and the white shirt? ($1.00, thrift store)
Who needs to travel when you can dress up and pretend?
And yes, I have been doing "the Highland fling" for those of you who were wondering...

For more frugal fashionistas, go to Jen's Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

11 comments:

Abbie said...

I love it! The $1 bag sale, the plaid, the Scottish craze! Thanks for the smile and the reminder that when things are THAT cheap, you can just use the fabric!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

That is too funny....I LOVE it! thanks for going all Scottish on us and sharing it with your readers and mine. :)

Becky said...

Your daughter reminds me of my youngest in that first picture. T.Lynn also tips her head down and smiles cutely when someone aims a camera her direction. You ended up with a lot of stuff for very little money.

Tracey said...

What fun! Love the Scottish plaids!

Wendy said...

I'm impressed! Love the hats!

Ruby said...

All very nice ... and all beautifully modelled! You look great in the tartan skirt. (The only pleated skirt I have ever worn was in my high school uniform. Just don't have the body shape for them.)

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Your daughter really suits that hat!!! Did you know I live in Sunny Scotland??? I love plaid but never wear it!
Love Collette xxxx

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Well done!!!

Where did you find a "fill a bag for a buck" sale? I want to find that!

Julie

MommaMindy said...

After years of adoring Scotland, I found out I am part Scottish! We thought we were Irish, until we read the family history. My ancestors were from Scotland, but given land in Ireland from King James, persecuted, then moved to America. I love the plaid. Hey, could you drop me an email with your snail mail and phone number? Need to update contact info.and send you something. Thanks!

Organizing Mommy said...

Oh you guys are such fun!!

Colette: No, I did not know you lived in Sunny Scotland! Did you know Christy just moved there (I act like the entire country is a village..) Christy is the Contemplative Mom who often participates in the blitz..

Julie: How do I get a bag of clothes for a buck? Well, you show up at the sale on a Saturday at 3:30 p.m. when they are closing.

Mindy: Yeah for Scottish roots. I am from the Montgomery clan--whatever that is.

I will look for your email. If I do not have it, it is"
organizingmommy[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

Tracey McBride said...

You are a woman after my own heart!! And what lovely tams and skirt...so fun and charming. You are right "en trend" as they say on Project Runway! ;) I've always loved the concept of fabric/clothing re-use and love the Scottish plaids!! In fact, my dad has a great plaid shirt in his rag bag and as soon as I'm done writing this I am going to rescue it for my own projects....I'm thinking about cutting ribbons from it to use for embellishing our holiday gifts...and/or maybe small gift bags??!! Thanks so much for the fun and inspiring post!!
Warmly,
Tracey