Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hard-headed woman

Have you ever been exasperated with your own tendencies that you've often wondered what it would be like to be someone else? You know, the kind, sweet, compassionate type..that everybody thinks of when they think of: sweet Christian woman?

I've already told you how I tried to force myself into my version of a gentle and quiet spirit. If you have forgotten, you can go read it. I'll wait for you...

O.K. now you're back.

So, you know that I am trying to accept this business of being strongly opinionated, outspoken, passionate, articulate, and tenacious, but I always wonder if other people are sort of fooled. Like maybe they think that I am as sweet as the day is long. That I just look for babies to hold and flowers to kiss in the sunset. Well, I do love to hold babies and dance in the sunset, but if the truth be known, there are "softer" gals out there.

So, I'm talking to one of the elders from our church in a little conversation with my husband there, and he says, "there's a difficult situation (and describes it) and I got to thinking: I need a hard-headed woman.. and I thought of you"

You know that song by Cat Stevens, I need a hard headed woman?

First of all, I really did not know that song. Cat Stevens hardly knew me 1976, but it is nice that he wrote a song about me and all?

And how could I refuse the opportunity to serve the Lord when someone gave me such a compliment as this? And as you can imagine, it is going to be very challenging. Feel free to pray for me. Even a hard-head like me could be daunted by this opportunity, of which I'll spare you the details.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

You and I are kindred spirits. I can SO relate to this. Cat Stevens would have LOVED, LOVED, LOVED me.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh yes, yes, YES!!!

We attended a church for years and years where it seemed that nearly every woman was the "gentle and quiet" type. (Not to mention the dresses, long hair, large families, etc.)

I never felt like I could ever measure up as a godly Christian woman.

But imagine that... God needs (and uses!) hard-headed women!

Hallelujah!

Julie

Becky said...

Yeah, I've seen a some of those gentle, quiet, seemingly always patient mothers. I've even envied them a time or two (or WAY more), but I resigned myself to the fact that I would never be one, and to make the best of it. Shortly after that I received a compliment from one of those "I've got it all together, and I did it quietly" moms. Apparently she, and several others, were under the very mistaken assumption that I was a patient mother and always spoke quietly to my children. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I did my best to correct the mistake (I do try to limit the whip and chair routine to our own home). I don't know if I ever convinced them, but it did make me take a second look at everyone I thought was gentle and quiet. Hey, if I can leave that impression, just about anyone contains within them the ability to do it too.

Organizing Mommy said...

Jenny: Yes, I was only 6 or 7 when that song came out, but I guess it applies.

Julie: Yes, he not only uses us--he gives us hard headed jobs!

Becky: It's amazing what other people see, eh? I think I'll hug some flowers now.

sara said...

Will keep you in prayer.

funny too - when people say I'm outspoken, I hear abrasive and when they say I'm determined, I hear stubborn. Maybe they just mean outspoken and determined.

Mrs. Santos said...

I don't think I could have survived my life if I wasn't so 'hard-headed'. Don't you think that the "meek and quiet spirit which is in the sight of God of great price" has more to do with our willingness to obey Him than being outgoing or opinionated? I am just learning this...but that's what I think.

God bless you good in the works He has prepared for you.

summur braley said...

I love it. I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I always wasn,t to be that christian girl who is so quiet, and sweet..............I am so loud and constantly putting my foot in my mouth. thanks for the encouragement. I will pray for u!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Charming as always. May the Lord use you in this situation.