Sunday, October 11, 2009

I want to make my home S.T.I.N.K.

O.K. O.K... that's not the most enticing title for a post. I'm in a mood, and I'm gonna go for it..

You know I like to organize, even though I do not mention it here very often these days. It's all about being REAL, and well.. sometimes... life is disorganized for a while.

So, this weekend, I had a chance to take control of a few things. I was organizing... Really.

So, I was reading one of the many fabulous organizing blogs, organizing junkie, and she has a monthly contest AND she's developed a cool acronym to get you thinking organized like..

She calls it PROCESS.. P for plan of attack.. R for Remove items, etc. It's her post, her ideas. You should go there and learn it.

So, while I was sorting my drawers in the kitchen, which is the current assignment, I got to thinking. I've never come up with my own organizing acronym!! Am I a looser organizing mommy or what? No wonder I'm such a spazz. How will I ever reach fame-dom?

So, it got me thinking. Everybody else has these really slick, professional sounding acronyms.

You know, Julie Morgenstern's: SPACE (sort, purge, assign, containerize, equalize) and then there's the 5 S system: (Sort, straighten, shine, standardize, sustain) and now we have: PROCESS.

So, when, and I mean when am I going to make my mark on organizing history, already?

So, get ready. The curtain is unfurled... drum roll please.................

The new organizing acronym is............ S.T.I.N.K.

I know, I know.. it's a great sounding word.... something anyone can do. No one is getting intimidated now.

S: Sort out the junk, already. Stop holding on to that junk. Sort the trash from the treasure.

T: Toss out the trash. Why does everybody save the trash for so long? Collect the treasures in the rooms where they are used the most often.

I: Invent a system that works for you. Put things where it makes sense to you. Where do you it most often?

N: Name/label each item in the location that you've assigned. This is the ONLY chance that it will ever return to that place. You may want to even add a picture of what the space is supposed to look like. Aside from having a robot assigned to guard each room saying, "Put pencils here, idiot" this is the only thing I can think of to get things back to their locations.

K: Keep up the system by being an organizing nazi, making sure everyone returns items to the correct location. Evaluate the system occasionally to make sure it is still working.

Now you can enlist your boys, "Hey kids. We're going to STINK up the house!" and really mean it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jena - You are in the big leagues. "STINK" what a sweet name for your profound and helpful blog inspiration. By the way, what is the status and essence rating of the decaying rodent? Speaking of stink, you know that fragrance preference is relative. Do you remember Mrs. Spade's Estee Lauder? Some 6th grade boys thought she stunk. Your fan - Mom

Ruby said...

Oh I love it!
Since my house already pretty much "STINK"s I am off to a good start!
Just what I needed this morning when I am facing the devastation of a disorganized weekend and trying to get some school routine going when Dad decides we are flexing today!

Organizing Mommy said...

Mom: I think the decaying rodent IS what inspired me, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm waiting for a book contract at the moment.. LOL.. I LOVED Mrs. Spade's perfume! And I know all the boys did too, why else did we all wear gas masks?

Ruby: Yes, it's easier to start organizing when you feel like you've already accomplished something by having it STINK. LOL

momstheword said...

Oh cute, I love this! I have an acronym that I made up a long time ago but I like yours much better, it's so cute!

Excellent tips and thank you for linking up today!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

HA HA HA! That's right down my alley :0)

Julie

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

I love your acronym! It is def one boys would enjoy!
Love Collette xxx

Chris said...

great acronym! :D thanks for the tip!

The Real Me! said...

Love it! You are making your mark! Hee! Hee!
Blessings,
Kim

Bobbi Jo said...

I am loving it. Enjoy your blog so much very inspirational for us all.
Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Joyfull said...

Super ideas and a cute way to make this plan stick! Thanks for sharing!

Becky said...

STINK up the house huh? I can hear the girls already. "EWWWWW!"
My husband would probably not appreciate what I'm sure at least 3 of them would say after that.
Grandma had a really bad night, so I'm afraid I'm still stuck on the plodding. I've managed to plod through school and checking my e-mails. And my goodness, it's only 2:45. I wonder how early would be too early to make the kids go to bed? I promise to start thinking about STINKing up the house tomorrow. My kitchen cabinets could really use it!

Mrs. Parunak said...

That's awesome. Nothing like adding a touch of humor to make the work seem lighter.

Mrs. Santos said...

Very Cute! I'll be sharing this post with others...As always, cracking me up :) Have a good day!

Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

OK, that is WAY better than those others! LOVE IT!