Monday, October 26, 2009

Organizing for a friend..

A friend had been asking me to help her organize for about a year. It has actually taken us that long to coordinate schedules, and they finally meshed last Friday.

At first I thought she was just being kind and honoring my "organizing hobby". After all, this family (from all practical appearances) has IT all together.

Whatever IT is, it's impossible to anyone to be completely organized in everything. We all need help in some way or another. As IT was, I had unbelief that this woman (who everyone I know looks up to) really needed help. But she kept asking and persisting.. so I went.

It takes a lot of trust to have someone in your home, helping you. I admire the humility of anyone who can get help when needed--in any area of their lives. We are all wired differently, and trouble spots show up in the weirdest areas.

I will say this. Some people who can find almost anything for anyone live with piles of clutter and old stuff. They are THAT with-it. If I do not have a completely cleared off surface, I can't even think. And even then, it's a lot of work!

Without giving a lot of details about her organizing adventure, I'm just going to share with you some of the questions I asked her. Let's see if they help some of you out there.

First, I asked her: What are the main areas of interest in your life? Family? local church? hobbies, business? etc?

Then, I asked her: How does your brain work? (She made it very easy for me! She said: COLOR)

O.K. then: What color do you associate with each of the main areas? For example: Green for Bills/ finances or ORANGE for crafts.. (You get the idea)

And then we set out to remove items and papers associated with these main areas that were non-active. We placed a color word (later to be replaced by a nice big colored paper) on a large bin. Each bin gets a number. So, for example we had (BROWN 1). Brown is a color she associated with family history. So, on a separate piece of paper, I wrote BROWN 1 and listed the items that she placed in the box.

When we were done, we had all of BROWN 1 organized, labeled and cataloged. Easy Peasy.

Is she done yet? No, but she has a great start!

And I learned this. Even amazing people need to get rid of their clutter, and then they can be even more amazing.

This is what I tackled this week. I'm linking up to Tackle it Tuesday at 5mfm.

12 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

I love the idea of colour to organise! How great of you to do this for your friend as well. Such a blessing.
Love Collette xxx

Deborah said...

Eeek! This is so exciting!! This is how I plan to do our storage room when it's finally been remodeled. Please tell us more!!

Blessings!
Deborah

Bonnie said...

I never thought of how I view my world. It could be color...I have someething to think about. Thanks!

sara said...

A friend/relative asked me to help her organize recently and I had no idea how to do it for anyone but myself. She is a high-energy person who manages to be involved in many wonderful things in spite of a cluttered kitchen counter. Me? If there's a knife and some crumbs out, my brain short circuits. I'm not fussy, I just can't function with that kind of distraction. I use the same words you do to describe it: "I can't think."

It's terrific that you were able to help!

Kathryn said...

Having gratefully accepted help in the past for the overwhelming project of trying to get it together, i know without a doubt she appreciates you beyond words!

It is humbling to admit we need help. I found it hard to do. Part of that is our culture where it is so important to look like we "have it all together."

How special of you to be willing to do this.

Susie said...

What an awesome and generous tackle!! It just goes to show that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors:-)

pk said...

I'm sure she appreciated your help so much! It always feels good to take something that seems overwhelming and make it manageable. How nice that you were able to do that for a friend.
pk @ Room Remix

BarbaraLee said...

I wish I could make a living doing organizing someone else house. My favorite thing to do.

shopannies said...

wow better person than me I could never organize with my family or friends

Mrs. Parunak said...

I love the concept of exploring how your brain works. In fact, those were all wonderful questions! Now I have one for you: when are you coming to organize my house???

Sheila said...

What a wonderful friend you are! When can you come to my house??!! I can wait a year!!

Becky said...

Great idea. One of the things I'm working on while the kids are at mom's this week is new cleaning scheduals. I was easy to let things slip once we moved into a new home that was CLEAN (because it was new construction), but we've gotten a little lazy and need to get back in gear.