Monday, October 19, 2009

Reporting in live from Emily's house

It's Monday morning, and I'm reporting in "live" from Emily's house. That's right. The lil gal has her own "house". It's the least we could do since she doesn't have her own bedroom.

I'm sitting on the other end of that table. The view is gorgeous out the window.. a few changing leaves and blowing branches on a blustery but sunny day.
The rest of the living room looks a lot like a normal living room, but her little area is her play space. She can "be with" us while doing her own thing. Thankfully, she let's us come and visit once in a while. So, she's generous enough to let me blog here. I am graciously acknowledging my sponsor as "Emily's house". No goods or services were exchanged for this advertisement. (Just in case you were wondering...)

Well, I feel like I'm a little out of sorts this week, since my high school senior, JAMES was so busy on his college stuff that I didn't get to use my computer at all yesterday.

I have a dear friend who helped me put together a transcript for the kid. We used her son's transcript as an example to follow, since I didn't have a cluebird. (What is a cluebird, anyway?)

So, then my dear husband asks, "What is this Kelley II High School you have listed on the top?"

Me: "I had to come up with a name for our school, and that's where we live: off the second subdivision of Kelly road."

General complaints from various people...

"Aww.. that's a dumb name.."

"Couldn't we come up with something better?"

and from son who is younger than the senior: "I am graduating from a different high school, then"

Me: "O.K. well, what do you guys have in mind?"

Child from kitchen: "The Morells have Windy Acres Academy. Now, that sounds good."

Me: "O.K. so you want something like No wind in the valley High..?

Or "Recycled farm land school of higher academics.."

or how about "mushy marsh of much learning.."Italic

Incidentally, this was making "Kelley II" sound much more attractive at every minute, which is exactly what I wanted.

Jamie: "All of the high schools in our area are just named for the streets they are on like: Auburn or Jefferson.. "

Will: "So, what do most people name their home schools?"

Me: "Generally, they decide on it when their children are four years old. They don't wait until they are writing their transcript and application to the Air Force Academy.."

Will: (laughing) "I guess we just never thought about it."

Me: "I think what we want to avoid is it sounding too hokey pokey like

Don't hide your light under a bushel school of zealots..

Fire in my heart revival school..

Jamie: "Do people actually DO that??"

Me: "Yes, they do it all the time. That's why I think we are going to stick with:

Kelley II High School


Whattaya think? Good 'nuf?

I'm linking up to: Making my home sing with Moms the Word.. Go there for other weird stuff.



14 comments:

Becky said...

I'm going to cast my vote for the name "Rock 'n Roll Academy" because you've got your feet on the Rock and your names on the Roll!

Heather said...

While I am fond of "Mushy Marsh of Much Learning," I vote for Kelley II. My husband graduated from the "_____ Family School." Now THAT's a name that lets everyone know you were home schooled!

sara said...

I think I'd go with something that sounds sort of Native American. Writes With Pens High School?

Lisa said...

I don't homeschool, so I had absolutely NO IDEA that people name their homeschools. Huh. Makes sense though for transcripts and stuff.

And that dresser (and the little girl next to it) are gorgeous.

momstheword said...

Oh I like the Mushy Marsh one, lol! One of my friends named hers(their last name) Academy.

Yeah, we haven't needed a transcript yet because my son started in a jr. college, we may need it for his last two years at a four year though.

Thanks for linking up today and thought I'd mention I am having a free blog makeover giveaway.

Becky said...

Naming our school is a state requirement, so we had to pick one out right at the start (14 yrs ago). We picked Viewpoint Academy since homeschooling was, in our view, the best way to teach children.

Organizing Mommy said...

That's exactly it. We were the "Webber Academy" sounds too homeschooly for a transcript to a competitive college.

Lisa, That dresser is something I found FREE on the side of the road. Needed a lot of work, but it is great.

Rock and Roll Academy probably is just as good as anything, eh?

Ruby said...

I love some of these name suggestions! Rock and Roll and the American Indian name are great ones! We named ourselves the _____________ Covenant Home School many years ago. I thought that was great..but have never had to use it! Never mind.

MommaMindy said...

We are Sunnybrook Christian Academy because when we started homeschooling, we lived on a farm named Sunnybrook. Made sense then. 16 years later,we still haven't come up with a good name to change to.

Do you have another name for your elementary school? I went with Academy because it can indicate K-12.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Yup, I'm a proud graduate of (my maiden name) Academy. We never actually had to write it on anything, though. We just said I had been homeschooled on my college applications.

As far as your suggestions go, I really think Mushy Marsh of Much Learning has a great ring to it. But perhaps not the sort of ring that military schools tend to go for. I guess you could consult your DH on that. You could always keep Don't hide your light under a bushel school of zealots as a backup.

Organizing Mommy said...

Let's see.. elementary school.

Jamie and Joanna went to Mom is on top of the World elementary school..

Hudson and Nathanael went to: Mom is slowly down elementary school.

And Emily will go to HUH? School of mom's lobotomy

Ruby said...

LOL!
That's sounds right!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

HA HA HA HA HA!

We don't have to name our homeschool, but since we have an end-of-the-year party with friends and decided to give the kids awards, I had to come up with a name.... the very un-creative *Lastname* Academy for Boys, which kind of sounds like a military school. Hmmm.......

The Mushy Marsh of Much Learning is just begging me to riff on it for our school! But the Don't Hide Your Light Under a Bushel School of Zealots has a panache that I don't think I can match!

Julie

Mousetower said...

We use Mousetower Primary and eventually it will be Mousetower Secondary. We have a logo and everything, which seems an awful lot of work for 2 kids but it was fun and it is also the name of our soon to be business.